Super Dexta Fan Shroud

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bill Cox
True Blue

Super Dexta Fan Shroud

Post by Bill Cox »

While I was mowing yesterday afternoon my '64 Super Dexta radiator sprung a substantial leak. It has a number of patches (globs of solder) on the core where it has been repaired in the past. However, it looks as if the tank may have gone out this time.

With that in mind, I decided to go with a new radiator. I ordered a new one along with all of the hoses from a supplier in North Carolina USA last night.

The fan shroud on the machine is in pretty bad shape. I have searched the net looking for one from a supplier here in the U.S. without much luck.

The only one I can find is from waltstractors.com and it lists for $119.95 USD + shipping. The listing states that it will fit a Dexta or a Super D, but my parts book shows different part numbers for the item. Several suppliers have the Dexta shroud (by part number) listed as being avalible at about half the price of waltstractors.

I have three questions for you fellows:

1. Will the Dexta shroud fit the Super D?
2. Will a Ford 2000 shroud fit?
3. Does anyone know of a U.S. supplier other than waltstractors?

I may end up trying to patch up the one I have. I haven't taken it out yet but if what I'm seeing and thinking is correct, the bottom 1/3 of the circular fan enclosure is gone/missing/destroyed. I may be able to bend some sheet metal and repair it.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Delta Blue

Blues Power
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Fan Shroud.

Post by Blues Power »

Pretty sure that the shroud from a petrol Dexta will fit the Super.These rads are about 3-4" taller than the diesel Dexta's.I have yet to compare the Super part number to a petrol shroud p/n.

I could get the dimensions from my petrol shroud if that would be of any help.
Carl
'62 Petrol Dexta

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

The part number I have is 960E8146B. I don't have my parts book handy but I think you are correct that it fits the 62-64 Super Dexta and the Petrol Dexta.
Delta Blue

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta Fan Shroud

Post by Bensdexta »

Bill Cox wrote:Will the Dexta shroud fit the Super D?
The New Holland Parts List (visible via vugot .com) lists the same part # for standard & super D. It list the same 3 part# for both: 957E8146B, 960E8146B, 959E8146B.

I think I'm correct in saying that the only replacement shrouds available in UK are fibreglass. Also hear they aren't very good. Is the Waltstractors one metal or fibreglass?

Mine is pretty ragged but I'm going to patch it up.

All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Here is the link: http://www.waltstractors.com/acatalog/W ... s_209.html

It doesn't say, but it looks like blue plastic or maybe fiberglass.
Delta Blue

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Three different radiators are listed:

957E 8005 .. Dexta 1957 to end of production.
959E 8005 .. Petrol Dexta .. November 1960 to end of production.
959E 8005 .. Super Dexta .. April 1962 to end of production.

It then gives three different fan shrouds:

957E 8146 B .. Dexta.
959E 8146 B .. Petrol Dexta
960E 8146 B .. Super Dexta.

So it seems there were two radiators and three shrouds for the Dexta range. Bummer! I thought I could just get a Super Dexta shroud for Dotty! :cry:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bill Cox
True Blue

New Radiator

Post by Bill Cox »

My new radiator arrived yesterday. It was manufactured by Clancy Radiators Ltd. in Limerick, Ireland!

The shop manual tells me to save the rubber mounts and grommets under the radiator for remounting. There were on such animals existing on my machine. I looked at the parts manual and didn't see them in it either. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject?

Also, there was some foam padding in front of the radiator between it and the nosecone. It was shaped to fix the contours of the nosecone and had a hollow center to account for the radiator. I don't find such a part in the manual either. Any ideas on it?

I still haven't resolved the fan shroud issue. The one I took out last night may be beyond salvage.

I'm also considering if I should go ahead and change the water pump while I have it apart. When I hold the end of a fan blade and give it a shake fore and aft I get a slight bit of movement that I am guessing is from the shaft moving. It could be just the pulley. I am going to at least take the pulley off and check further.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Delta Blue

Mark
True Blue

Re: New Radiator

Post by Mark »

Bill Cox wrote:
The shop manual tells me to save the rubber mounts and grommets under the radiator for remounting. There were on such animals existing on my machine. I looked at the parts manual and didn't see them in it either. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject?
Bill, you definitely need the rubber mounts under the radiator. Without these mounts your radiator wouldn't last a week. As for the foam, I would think that someone other than Ford put that there. I've never seen or heard of anything of this sort.
I like you am also interested in finding good metal fan shroud for my Dexta, I finally fabricated one, it's not all that pretty but it works. Good luck.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

My tractor also had the foam when I got it. Mice destroyed the foam last year. It made me mad, that foam lasted over 40 years and then mice ruined it!
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Bill, I used the rubber bushings from an old pair of automotive shock absorbers to mount the radiator on mine. Probably came off a Ford pickup since a couple of those reside here also, but most any should work.
Jack

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

terry274 wrote:My tractor also had the foam when I got it. Mice destroyed the foam last year. It made me mad, that foam lasted over 40 years and then mice ruined it!
Terry
Terry, what is the purpose of the foam. My Dexta never had any, you reckon this is something that only was used on the Supers?
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Bill Cox
True Blue

Question

Post by Bill Cox »

Commander,

I think I understand what you are saying. You put the mounting bolts through the bushings and the bushings between the radiator and the frame. Is that correct?

I have access to some old rubber conveyor belt and was thinking about cutting a strip of it that would fit in the channel all the way across the bottom of the radiator, punch the bolt holes in it and bolt it down. Would this work?

Since my machine didn't have any "rubber mounts and grommets" I'm still a little unclear what the difference is between the two. As I said, my parts book doesn't show the parts so I don't even know what the originals looked like.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

P.S. I ordered a fan shroud for a pre '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl. I don't know for sure if it will work but it looks close in the pictures. If it's not an exact match I may be able to modify it to fit. My old fan shroud is beyond hope of repair. I'll report the results when it comes in.
Delta Blue

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Mark, I don't know what purpose the foam served. This tractor is the only one I have ever seen that had anything like this. The foam seemed to be formed to fit the radiator, so I don't think it was something added by the previous owner.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Question

Post by Bensdexta »

Bill Cox wrote:Since my machine didn't have any "rubber mounts and grommets" I'm still a little unclear what the difference is between the two. As I said, my parts book doesn't show the parts so I don't even know what the originals looked like.
Each of the two bolts fixing the bottom of my radiator had a large rectangular rubber washer, about 6mm thick, between radiator and frame, through which the bolt passes. I don't know whether these were original, but they had certainly been in place since the 1980's when she had a new radiator.
Bill Cox wrote:I ordered a fan shroud for a pre '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl. I don't know for sure if it will work but it looks close in the pictures. If it's not an exact match I may be able to modify it to fit. My old fan shroud is beyond hope of repair. I'll report the results when it comes in.
Is it metal, plastic or fibreglass? Look forward to hearing how it pans out. :wink:

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

The shroud is metal. We'll see...
Delta Blue

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

i ordered 2 rubber pads from agriline... you would bee better using 2 rubbers for erasing pencil, would be cheaper.

commander
True Blue

Re: Question

Post by commander »

Bill Cox wrote:Commander,

I think I understand what you are saying. You put the mounting bolts through the bushings and the bushings between the radiator and the frame. Is that correct?
That is what I did. The bushings at first appeared too thick, but compressed enough to get every thing lined up.
Bill Cox wrote:Commander,
I have access to some old rubber conveyor belt and was thinking about cutting a strip of it that would fit in the channel all the way across the bottom of the radiator, punch the bolt holes in it and bolt it down. Would this work?
probably work ok... Not sure how thick the pads need to be. Bensdexta said his were about 1/4 in (6mm).
Jack

Bensdexta
True Blue

Radiator mount rubber pads

Post by Bensdexta »

The Parts List lists 6 support pads for the radiator, two between radiator and axle support bracket and one below, ie 3 on each bolt. The Parts List gives part#E43MB9, although interestingly the vugot on-line parts list gives a different part# for the lower pads 81717121.

This seems to be confirmed by the workshop manual for the cooling system, radiator replacement:
"Place the radiator in position on the front axle support bracket, with the two large rubber pads between the radiator and bracket. Replace the small rubber pads, flat washers and self-locking nuts in that order on the bolt, and tighten the nuts up until the rubber pads are just compressed."

Brian commented on the old website that for the Fordson Major the pads are about 1/4" thick and the same as the pads under the fuel tank, and made of 'hard plasticised rubber'.

I wonder if Stefan can give chapter & verse - he often can? :wink:

Bill Cox
True Blue

Super Dexta Fan Shroud

Post by Bill Cox »

Well, as I suspected might be the case, the pre '65 Ford 2000 fan shroud didn't fit. It was too big.

I welded the cracks in the old shroud and beat it back into shape. I cut new "rubber (radiator) mounts" from a piece of old conveyor belt to mount the new radiator.

I put it all back together and have put about eight hours on the new assembly. It is all working and my engine temperature seems to be down an average of about 20 degrees F.

While I was at it I put all new hoses and a fan belt. The only hose I didn't change is the one that requires removal of the water pump to change. I ordered it and have it on hand but I didn't want to take off the pump because I didn't have any replacement gaskets.
Delta Blue

WayneB
True Blue

Radiator Rubber Pads

Post by WayneB »

I had a thin original fiberous flat belt material under my radiators. I did not like it. Tossed it. I use rubber cushions from my mercedes 300 series shocks. These rubber cushions come with every front shock. I replace them with every front shock, the old ones are still good rubber. I then tighten the studs until my fan is centered in the shroud.
Until I studied the problem, I thought it was my fan shroud bent. It was flex in the radiator mount. The original rubber pads did not hold the studs tight. :(
With the old flat material, I'd have the fan touching the shroud just enough to hear it occasionally. Not any more. :wink:
Sure its not OEM, but it works for me, and the price is right and the supply is plenty. I duplicated it on my second S Dexta.
Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta Fan Shroud

Post by ianpdexta »

Thank you for all of the replies and information. :beer:
It looks like the Super Dexta cowl is different, although the evidence varies!. I have placed an enquiry with Ron Greet for a second hand one. If that doesn't work then I might take a chance on the fibreglass one, accepting that it may need altering.
If the fan diameter and the radiator widths are the same then I should be able to deal with a bit of up down error even if the very top of the radiator is not cooled. Working on the principle that having properly directed draught on most of it would be better than just the open fan. Also the open fan is more of a hazard to careless fingers!

I'll up date you with the result when it happens.

Regards

Ian