Plough???

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Plough???

Post by naildriver »

What kind of plough should I be looking for to complement my S Dexta?

Steven B
True Blue

Re: Plough???

Post by Steven B »

naildriver wrote:What kind of plough should I be looking for to complement my S Dexta?
In the US you could go for the Sherman plough used behind the Ford 9N,2N and 8N.

I think Ford USA also made a two bottom plough to suit the Dexta in the late 1950s.

This is what I was thinking

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-2-Bottom-Plow- ... 3cb0bc141e

Search using the American spelling "plow" for better results in the US.
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

brownsmule
True Blue

Plow

Post by brownsmule »

Howdy Naildriver; I would suggest that you purchase a late model ford two bottom plow either 2-14's or 2-16's. In your area where the soil is lighter the Dexta would pull 2-16's without a problem. I would not buy a early model plow as made for the "N" series because the replacement plow points will cost you as much as the plow is worth. You may want to go to Godley's Auction in Charlotte on the 4th Friday and pick one out for your Dexta. Pick one that is not worn out and has all (preferrable) components attached (coulters, trail wheel). They also sell replacement points, shinns and slides if you need some replacement parts. My plow is 2-16's but is not at home right now or I would give you the model number. I have a Ford model 101 3-16's for my 5000 that has the modern style plow points. Good to see you putting that Dexta to work. Best Regards brownsmule mooresville nc

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Naildriver
I've got a Ford two bottom 14" plough for mine, it works real good. I've got my back wheels loaded, that's a big help. I wish someone around her had a 3 bottom plough that would fit mine, I'd like to see if she would pull it. She is a power house, but I'd bet that would be a stretch. :run:
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Naildriver
I've got a Ford two bottom 14" plough for mine, it works real good. I've got my back wheels loaded, that's a big help. I wish someone around her had a 3 bottom plough that would fit mine, I'd like to see if she would pull it. She is a power house, but I'd bet that would be a stretch. :run:
Three furrows pull OK on light soil. This is my father's 3-furrow Ransomes Robin (awaiting refurb :wink: ), which he used behind our Dexta. with Epic semi-digger bodies:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

I used a double moldboard (ford-ferguson) around here for a while.
I switched to a chisel plow.

chisel plow by combean, on Flickr

We have predominately heavy clay soils, with a thin topsoil layer in most places. It's a pain to plow - period. Too dry, it's hard to break with any type of plow. Plow too wet and the clumps turn in to something very like a brick. The moldboards just pull up too much of the (very poor) subsoil and mix it with the topsoil. If plowing shallow, the chisel seems to pull at lot easier. It's certainly quicker, you're breaking up more ground each pass. If plowing deep in hard,heavy soil, you can remove outside shanks and bury it up to the frame. Another advantage is the chisel points are easy to find and cheap.
The do have some disadvantages....they don't cover up weeds and crop residue, a 'trashy' field may have to be mowed first.
And they tend to pull the rocks to the surface.
To be honest , don't do much plowing at all any more, just vegetable garden. A lot of what I used to plant now has houses on it.
Jack

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

commander wrote:I used a double moldboard (ford-ferguson) around here for a while.
I switched to a chisel plow.

chisel plow by combean, on Flickr

We have predominately heavy clay soils, with a thin topsoil layer in most places. It's a pain to plow - period. Too dry, it's hard to break with any type of plow. Plow too wet and the clumps turn in to something very like a brick. The moldboards just pull up too much of the (very poor) subsoil and mix it with the topsoil. If plowing shallow, the chisel seems to pull at lot easier. It's certainly quicker, you're breaking up more ground each pass. If plowing deep in hard,heavy soil, you can remove outside shanks and bury it up to the frame. Another advantage is the chisel points are easy to find and cheap.
The do have some disadvantages....they don't cover up weeds and crop residue, a 'trashy' field may have to be mowed first.
And they tend to pull the rocks to the surface.
To be honest , don't do much plowing at all any more, just vegetable garden. A lot of what I used to plant now has houses on it.
Thanks guys for your responses, A chisel plow was the first implement I purchased. I found a 9 shank, 8ft, heavy frame one on craigs list. The seller said that his dad gave it to him because he couldn't pull it. He thought that since he had 4wheel drive that he could but was not able. I refrained from telling them that I was planning on cutting off the end chisels since they could do the same. I know this will be my most used implement. I was interested in a turn plow for making "green manure" on my poorest soils. I'l be looking for a bush hog, boom pole, etc as I find extra money. Haven't found much lately

brownsmule
True Blue

Plow

Post by brownsmule »

Howdy Naildriver; Plowing is a fine art that you will love. The ground must be moist, not dry nor wet. You must also adjust your plow on first setup on the leveling arm and also the top link. As you view your plowed furrow's behind you, you can readily see if you need to raise or lower the leveling arm and the top link adjustment is so that your plow points are not set to aggressive or not enough. Everything you need will be at Godley's Auction, new or used. I've been going there since the 50's. Guess that I'm telling my age. Not many farmer's plow anymore with no-till farming. Once you get the hang of it, you might just want to plow every field available. The smell of fresh plowed soil is one of the joy's of the job. I know it's very dry right now but it will rain. Pick out the right plow for you and when the ground moisture is JUST RIGHT, give it a try. Best Regards
brownsmule

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Bensdexta wrote:
Mark wrote:Naildriver
Three furrows pull OK on light soil. This is my father's 3-furrow Ransomes Robin (awaiting refurb :wink: ), which he used behind our Dexta. with Epic semi-digger bodies:
Thanks Ben, I always knew these blue girls would pull a 3 bottom plough. I've never seen the moldboards bent back like that, why is that?
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Thanks Ben, I always knew these blue girls would pull a 3 bottom plough. I've never seen the moldboards bent back like that, why is that?
Mark, don't thnk they are unduly bent, I think it's an illusion - I hope so :wink:
The rear furrow on the Robin is detachable. We have alot of stones, so I may end up taking it off.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!