Shocked by the state of my brake shoes

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nevis
True Blue

Shocked by the state of my brake shoes

Post by Nevis »

Last year I renewed the RH axle seal as it had been leaking and also therefore I replaced the brake shoes.
Recently I had noticed that the RH brake was not very effective so this morning I adjusted it and went for a drive. It still didn't work well so I finally decided to remove the drum and have a look.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered the reason for the poor braking - the linings on both shoes had partially broken away and disintegrated!

Any one else had this happen?

Andy

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Well this makes me feel like pulling my wheels tomorrow, I adjusted them the other day and they still just aren't what I'd like.

If I find anything similar I'll post, but I hope they look better than yours! : :shock:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Those shoes must have been faulty to wear that quickly :?:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

It isn't wear that has caused the linings to break up. Either the linings were not fitted to the shoes properly or the material was incorrect.

I suggest that you replace them with bonded linings.

Gerald

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

the rivets are the weak spot in the photos, maybe the friction material was not the correct circumference and the riviting caused cracks. Although I remember cracking the friction material off one of my car shoes being to heavy handed when putting the drum back and the shoes not being fully retracted.

Get them replaced by bonding
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Having the brake material bonded on seems a good idea as it would ensure that there are no stress points.
Can anyone suggest where I might get shoes with bonded linings or get replacement linings bonded on?

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

This morning I changed the brake shoes being careful to ensure that the shoes were central to the drum. However after only a few hundred yards the lining of the top shoe broke away again.
I checked that everying was assembled as it should be. The only thing I noticed that could be a contributer was that there is a lot of play where the brake camshaft rod passes through the back plate - the rod can move up and down about 10mm. I am surmising that this allows the brake shoes to rotate forward pinching the upper brake shoe. I checked the rod freeplay on the other wheel and it is much less.
What do others think?

Andy

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

If you take a brake shoe off and sit it inside the drum is the radius of both the same?

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

I checked and the shoe and brake drum match closely

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Nevis, is the brake drum round or has it gone oval?Also if the problem persists, swap drums to opposite sides, to see if that makes a difference.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Andy,
When you replaced the shoes a few days ago did you replace the shoes with new, rivet new linings on, or have them relind professionaly?

Peter