Done anything to the Dexta this week then ?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Done anything to the Dexta this week then ?

Post by landowner »

Well yes actually.
Took the other half shaft out and that's about it.

My brother did buy another dexta though, '62 I think, super dexta with orange wheels, running fine on a newish engine with no faults - just have to lean on the gate and look at it :D
Wife has a very tight purse : )

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Yes, dropped the block off for new liners, boring, honing, crank re-grind and new little ends
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

russelm wrote:Yes, dropped the block off for new liners, boring, honing, crank re-grind and new little ends
Great little engines aren't they , once done it'll probably last forever now. we were lucky in that both the Dextas have real good engines so we can concentrate on the other worn out bits :roll:

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

lol, I have that to come.

Mine was in pieces after being taken apart 10+ years ago.

Its needed a new head and pistons but, its been bored at some point and its cheaper to fit new liners and standard pistons than source these odd over sized ones.

Crank was a little rusty and hence the re-grind
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Assuming the original author intended this thread to be open to all then yes:

We got the drag arms fitted, adjusted and toe-in checked. We de-shimed(?) the steering box top to remove some lateral free play there is no play in rotation. The wiring is all-but complete and today we started the first top coat of paint on the fuel tank.

We're almost ready to fit the control panel after another coat of blue and with the tank on she should be running again soon - fingers crossed that she doesn't leak any fluids.

-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Was the rubber bucket underneath blue before you started?

Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

EddieJ wrote:Assuming the original author intended this thread to be open to all then yes:

We got the drag arms fitted, adjusted and toe-in checked. We de-shimed(?) the steering box top to remove some lateral free play there is no play in rotation. The wiring is all-but complete and today we started the first top coat of paint on the fuel tank.

We're almost ready to fit the control panel after another coat of blue and with the tank on she should be running again soon - fingers crossed that she doesn't leak any fluids.

Your just a little further on that we are with the 64 super Dexta, ours has no rad on yet and the wheels are off but the front end has been sprayed blue because you have to don't you even though it's not all ready for paint yet.

That's looking good anyway :)

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

Are we looking at a standard Dexta here, the radiator configuration viz filler pipe and brackets seem to be different from mine, my filler pipe seems lower and the bracket extentions to the cowel are missing. How does the nose cone fit, does it attach to the arms that are held by the two nuts?

If you know what I mean!!

Regards

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Jerry Coles wrote:Was the rubber bucket underneath blue before you started?

Jerry
Hehe it was always blue but it does look a little closer to empire blue inthe pics doesn't it? Comes in handy for draining the coolant, we had just checked for leaks
woodseaves wrote:Are we looking at a standard Dexta here, the radiator configuration viz filler pipe and brackets seem to be different from mine, my filler pipe seems lower and the bracket extentions to the cowel are missing. How does the nose cone fit, does it attach to the arms that are held by the two nuts?
Nope it's a 62 Super Dexta hence the different rad and pipes, a STD dexta cowl is too short for the rad. There are two bolts attached to the cowl that go through the brackets from the rad and the thermostat housing plus two lower bolts that bolt through the cowl and on to the front axle mount. Currently we have just bolted the upper brackets with some spare bolts so we can support the rad when we fire her up again, as the cowl needs a LOT of work before it's going anywhere near that shiny new paint. :D
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

Thanks for clearing that up.

Regards

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

[quote="EddieJ"]Assuming the original author intended this thread to be open to all then yes:

I intended the thread to be used by everyone even if you just want to say that you looked at it, had a brew and then decided not to bother this week.
Sometimes we just make a decision and it feel better when you can write, "well I decided to paint the radiator but it started raining" :wink: :)

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

I've just fitted a new radiator, should it be painted?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Radiator Paint

Post by Bensdexta »

woodseaves wrote:I've just fitted a new radiator, should it be painted?
If you do paint it, best to use some heat resistant paint. Deeside Radiators painted mine Empire Blue using their 'special' paint, they recon quite a few Fordson rads. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

I made my log splitter work - after many trips to the local agricultural suppliers...

I never knew the joy that could come from watching a log splitter actually working on ones own tractor....
Sheer bliss!
Last edited by anthall on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

anthall wrote:I made my log splitter work - after many trips to the local agricultural suppliers...

I never know the joy that could come from watch a log splitter actually working on ones own tractor....
Sheer bliss!
Always wanted a log splitter, one behind a Dexta would be heaven :)

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Went to change oil in my new Petrol Dexta. Found the filter floating in the canister and missing internal parts such as a spring and seals:? !
And all the crud in the bottom of the sump along with a small washer and much grit :( !
Started rebuilding it but found another one at a wreckers off a Standard engine that will work.
Now working on the governor as the linkage is out of wack.
Always wanted a log splitter, one behind a Dexta would be heaven
It is :D, I borrowed my neighbours wood splitter and used the hydraulic pump off the post pounder and was able to run just above an idle.

Les

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

woodseaves wrote:I've just fitted a new radiator, should it be painted?
I've never had a problem with ordinary paint on a radiator . Paint will burn off the exhaust manifold but nowhere else I've found.

If you want paint to stay on the exhaust manifold then use emulsion paint, the drips of emulsion from when I painted the garage are still on the woodburner so that's a good test, mix it a little lighter as it darkens a bit with heat. :wink:

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

Towed my Landrover with the 'new ' Dexta after she started first time even after a frost. More than can be said for the landrover :)

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

Hi landowner...

Today, I did the reverse, and towed the dexta with my land rover...more out of curiosity rather than needing too, although the battery was flat and it was easier to tow than to carry the rather heavy battery back to the shed..!! :roll:

My series 1 80 inch did quite well.....

:beer:
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

anthall wrote:Hi landowner...

Today, I did the reverse, and towed the dexta with my land rover...more out of curiosity rather than needing too, although the battery was flat and it was easier to tow than to carry the rather heavy battery back to the shed..!! :roll:

My series 1 80 inch did quite well.....

:beer:
Propper Land Rover then :)

And a propper tractor, I'm going to sit with a brew and just look at the Super Dexta in bits and do nothing today. Might start the other dexta just to listen to the engine :)

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Finished the neighbours Dexta today.
He delivered it about a month ago with a sticky clutch.
It's got a double clutch - live drive - and it had been leaking engine oil into the bellhousing.
I've known this tractor for years,also knew the previous owner.
About a year ago it came to me with so much sand in the engine that the pistons could not finish their stroke...
I fixed it then,and he was happy.

He asked me to fix the clutch now,so i gave him the options.
The looks he gave me when i told him the price for a new clutch,600 euros,made it clear i'd better not order one.

So i split the tractor,took out the clutch,bought 5 liters of "cold degreaser" and threw the clutch in it.
Left it to soak for a week,meanwhile fixing the rear crankshaft seal.
Cleaned out the bellhousing,changed the oil,new antifreeze,dried the clutch,which actually freed up,and found that the owner probably had stepped on the clutchpedal with some added weight.
Those 3 "fingers" were slightly bent.Plus the bolts were worn.
Now how to fix that?
I tried to find one of those clutch-set-up-tools,but no luck.

And no tractorservice can set up a double clutch like this anymore.

So i put the tractor together again,and at least it is "unclutching" now,still grinding its teeth when selecting gears though.

Ah well it'll have to do.
Maybe someday i can rescue this lovely Dexta...
Anyway my neighbour has a working Dexta again for under 100 euros.

It was fun wrenching.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

We now have a Dexta clutch setting tool thanks to JC. Now just got to work out how we can make it available on the site.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

Wondered today why the clutch on our 62 Super Dexta is so fierce, it's either in or out and no in between.
Makes for interesting towing. :roll:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Could be oil on the disc surface. That is a common cause.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Today I put on the snow chains as there has been snowing since early this morning :) Can't wait for my first snow job with this beauty :):)
Tom T. Winchester
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!