Done anything to the Dexta this week then ?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

I leaned a table against ours in the garage on Saturday night and we had a bonfire doo.
Wood burner burning and tea urn urning talking tractors and generally having a good time whilst leaning on the Dexta. :)
Wife has a very tight purse : )

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

I have semi put my dexta to bed for the time being...a nice new cover and he is all very sleepy now...! I have much wood splitting to do next week, though, so am looking forward to that...so long as he wakes up...

By the by..has anyone ever drilled out the filler cap for the rear axle and fitted a quick coupling into this as an oil return from an implement? I am thinking about this and wondered if it had ever been done? seems a neater solution rather than removing the filler cap.. :?:
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

anthall wrote:By the by..has anyone ever drilled out the filler cap for the rear axle and fitted a quick coupling into this as an oil return from an implement? I am thinking about this and wondered if it had ever been done? seems a neater solution rather than removing the filler cap.. :?:
Search is a wonderful thing. How about this? :)
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... oil+return
I expect the experts can tell you more.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

Search is indeed a wonderful thing - I must do more of it!

thanks for the spot on reply & link, though - most excellent and exactly what I was intending on doing....

right, less of the thread hijacking (by me)..back to topic...

I will mainly be drilling out my filler cap this weekend

:lol:
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

michael dyer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by michael dyer »

On my 1958 Dexta this has already been done when I aquired it about 2 yrs ago. It actually looks like its a different part; (plug with a properly tapped hole)\prehaps one was available from Ford; I do have recollections from the 1970's that such adapted filler plugs were available for the Ford 2000 onwards range prehaps these plugs fitted the Dexta as well.

I will take a photo and try to upload; it will be my first attempt

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

2000, 3000, 4000 were all the same plug and fitted the Dexta, a number of companies like McConnell supplied plugs with their machines. I do not think Ford made a plug, we modified them if required.

On tractors like the Dual Power 5000/6600/7000/7600, the oil has to be returned to a special port near the external filter.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

Hi Michael & Brian..
Thanks for the further info...I will certainly follow this up...
Am now feeling even more guilty about the thread hijack now.. :oops:

Please someone, tell us what you will be doing/have done with your Dexta...and save me!!
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Had a helping hand visit this afternoon and guide/assist with changing a rear tyre. It's easy when you know how!

The nasty split and perrished tyre is now due to become some kind of horse jump, and the new (bargain part-worn) looks wonderfull. Patched the tube and now it's all back together it seems to be holding air :D We've sacrificed some tread depth but it's a temporary fix untill we can afford a new pair for the rear. At least the tube doesn't bulge through the tyre anymore!

Also had some throttle linkange parts and a new lift pump top cover arrive. Looks like the fuel tank will be off again soon :roll:

Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Does sliding down a hill in leaves with a load of wood on the back pallet :shock: And yes I was backing up the hill, just didn't stay that way :shock:
Then blowing the right rear tire on a black locust tree on the climb back up :evil: count as "doing something" with my Dexta???

Anytime things get exciting and I'm not wearing my parachute it's never a good day!

I guess now that I can't drive it I'll have to fix the water pump and brakes. And find a way to make that rear diff lock MUCH more accessible!!!
1962 Dexta
1982 Ford 1500 4X4 w/770 Loader
1976 Massey Ferguson 20C

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

Well she started, still well below freezing but she started :lol:

ran for a few minutes then stopped as the diesel had gelled up with the cold.
Blew the pipes out with an air line, bled her and she ran again and kept going this time :D

So today the dear Dexta has just had a short run and then she was tucked up, under cover this time to keep the frost off. Just forecast -8 c for tonight so might cover her up with a blanket.

the Super Dexta is still in bits but going to get cracking on her shortly after some urgent Land Rover repairs.

Spending far too much time sitting by the wood burner supping tea in the garage :roll:

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Done anything to the Dexta this week then ?

Post by anthall »

Having got back from being away for 3 weeks, I went out & swept the snow of the Dexta, and she started after the 3rd attempt....!! I believe it was about -8c, so I am very happy with that. The Dexta was used for taking boys sledging, great fun!

On the drive back, she developed a high pitched squealing noise...seemed to come from the rear diff area / rear wheel area, although I couldn't be certain. It sounded as if a stone was trapped in the brakes, but there was only much snow, so I will need to investigate further...

Happy Festive time to all

anthall
:beer:
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

Took the head off and sent it for checking and refurb, couple of bad exhaust valves I think.

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

Well, Dexta head is a write off, badly rusted seats and a crack from No 3 inlet seat which continues into the casting.
Managed to take the head off spare (new performance) engine and that was ok, lapped the valves in and she's now sitting on top of the Dexta waiting for injector pipes, oil pipe and rocker gear to be fitted, looking good.

hojoos
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hojoos »

Great little engines aren't they , once done it'll probably last forever now. we were lucky in that both the Dextas have real good engines so we can concentrate on the other worn out bits

landowner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by landowner »

Excellent engines, no bore wear and head in good shape now, just rusty valves due to water getting in and sitting