Gear lever jammed in Reverse.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
nedwobj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gear lever jammed in Reverse.

Post by nedwobj »

Hi all,
I went to use my Super Dexta the other day and reversed out of the shed, when I tried to select 1st gear the lever jammed and I'm stuck in reverse.. I have read a few posts on this forum about this problem and it seems easy enough to fix but I need to know if this is a problem that Dextas have from time to time or is it soley due to worn parts. I have been told it's "just a Dexta thing." I will be fitting a new gear lever when I pull it apart.
I have also been told that the " H " pattern is very definate and they will pop out easy if gears are not positively selected. Have any other members here had this Jamming problem or am I getting false information. I would appreciate your comments on this one
as I believe it's just wear and tear..
Regards to all
John

WayneB
True Blue

Stuck in Gear

Post by WayneB »

I have two Dextas running and a parts tractor. A 1/2" box end wrench is always on board.
Wipe or blow dust and trash off shifter area.
Center the Hi-Low to neutral. Remove 4 screws on gear shifter and remove shifter. Wipe back area around gasket. Use wrench to center shifter collars on tranny. ReInstall shifter. Tighten and use in square H pattern until next slip up.

I have built up the end of the shifter and then filed it till it started shifting again. It will get you another year or two or decade in use.
Ultimately, the shaft bearings are wearing which cause this, and eventually the jamming problem will result in gear teeth walking and stripping.
The fix is replace the bearings or find a replacement transmission.
One of my Dextas gave another 1500 hours after build up, but now I need repair. I have a complete GC transmission.

good luck

Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

nedwobj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nedwobj »

Thanks Wayne for your reply. This is exactly the response that I needed. Helpfull and informative. Is welding up the end of the gear stick then filing it to fit an alternative to fitting a new gear lever as I have a new lever to go in, but it sounds like this process involves adding to the lever beyond it's normal specs in order to take up wear. I'm not sure if I have explained myself properly here but will fitting a brand new lever have the same effect.
Regards
John..

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi mate :D

my dexta jumps out occasionaly ... a ex ford fitter told me to just build it up with weld un file it back .. as thats what they used to do :)

so i'm gunna do the same

i've bin struggleing to get the spring clip /circlip of tho ? the the spring loaded collar / socket is sezed on my hi - lo lever .

good luck

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

i got a friend to build the end up with weld on mine too. he just left the lever in the housing though, just earthed to the lever. never had a problem with it since.

michael dyer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Jammed in reverse

Post by michael dyer »

I too suffer from the same problem, I have found that a chainsaw spanner; the one you use to tension the chain; consists of a box spanner and a screwdriver also fits the four bolts and takes up a lot less space in the toolbox.
Last edited by michael dyer on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

nedwobj,
I think most of the wear will be on the shifter so a new one should do the trick.

I couldn't understand why the feel and throw on the gear selector of our latest Dexta was different than others? Pulled the top off and found that the bottom end of the shifter had been cut off and a square headed set screw had been welded on and ground down to... sort of fit! A new knob had also been welded (not quite plumb) on the top.

Les

nedwobj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nedwobj »

Well, Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. It seems it is a bit of a problem with Dextas and it is due to wear. I'm hoping that fitting a new gear stick will be the end of my problems.
Regards to all
John.