Check chain question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Stefan
True Blue

Check chain question

Post by Stefan »

Guys,
my Dexta was missing her check chains to fix the lower link arms. I now found a good used pair of chains but I'm not sure about the number of chain links they should have. Every chain has 7 chain links and two shackles. Can anybody confirm that that's correct?
Last edited by Stefan on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Gute Morgen Stefan,

Just went and checked my own Dexta,and indeed both chains have 7 links and two shackles.
Furthermore a photo in the book "Ford and Fordson Tractors-The Golden Years" shows the same.
Page 98 bottom left,for those interested.
So i think it's pretty safe to say you've got it right.

Grusse aus Holland.
Rob.

Edit: I just checked some more photos in tht book,and on page 99,top right it shows that the right hand chain (to the lift arm with the levelling box),has 5 links and two shackles.

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Goedemorgen Rob,

many thanks. It's quiet early this morning and I assume that you walked into your garage dressed with your pajamas and slippers :wink:

Stefan

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

That's right Stefan,but then the wind blew out my candle,so i had to light up a torch.
It's a good thing i don't own a petrol Dexta...

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Stefan,
Mine has 7 links and 2 shackles as well. How are coming on your restoration, is she about done?
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Mark,

oh well. I'm ashamed about my sleeping website and that you didn't heared from me for a couple of weeks. I'm very busy right now, I work on the old girl every day. My day time job ends at 4:00 pm and than I work two more hours on my Dexta. So my days used to end very late. Mostly every weekend is reserved for my Dexta. The project is going on pretty well and I don't forget to take pictures for the next updates.

I hope to put some new stuff on my website this week. Here's a small preview. The oval badge will be replaced later. I bought one of the shitty replacement parts and the orange background-plactic fall off :(

The vertikal badge is a new old stock part, never been used and still wearing it's original Empire Blue paint coat. I'm very proud to have it. Also the new old stock igniton switch with metal handle, it's still fitted with it's original key stamped "Ford". The trailer hitch is brought brand new (non Fordson) but the big bracket is original Ford made for the german market. The bracket is also new old stock. The tractometer is new old stock. The rubber for the glow switch is new old stock (no cheap replacement). The aluminium cover for the upper dash board is new old stock stamped "EnFo". The head lights are original Butler and the refectors got a new chrom coat. So you can see that I was pretty busy and after nearly 2500 working hours the project seems to end within 6 weeks or so. At the time I'm working on the hydraulic linkage and the swinging drawbar (original ... of course :wink: )

Regards Stefan

Image[/img]

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Stefan,
She looks great!!!!!!! I like it very much, can't wait to do the English text on this.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Paul »

:shock: Got Und Himmel :shock: ( I don't think thats right but I remember My Grandfather used to say something that sounded like that when I was a child many moons ago in Yorkshire England)

That old girl is a credit to you Stefan. After following your web site from day one, I defy anyone to come up with a more thorough rebuild of a Fordson Dexta. Congratulations, well done. Thanks very much for the effort you have expended on your site also, it has been no end of assistance trying to understand the miriad of conundrums that our old girls can throw up at us from time to time.
What is the switch assembly at lower left of the dash ( left of the key switch ) ??

PS: don't spoil it with the wrong colour grills !!!!! LOL
Make it Better for the next person and We all end up Better off.

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Guys,

thanks for your comments and thanks for the help on the check chain. Now I can be sure to hold the correct chain in my hands.

Paul, you asked about the switch? In Germany all tractors have to be fitted with turn-signal lights and stoplight. That's why the rear fenders are fitted with an extra pair of rear lights. The switch you can see on the picture shows the turn-signal switch. In the past, Ford dealers welded a big piece of sheet metal on the upper dash board to fix the switch over there. But that was very agly so I did it my way. More pictures about all the sins german Fordson dealers did to the girls can be seen on my website soon.

And Paul, you want me to paint the grille in the correct colour? :scratchhead:
I assume you mean green :D , because one of the prototype tractors was painted green :wink:

If nobody has a veto, the grille will be painted orange :? ... I'm absolutely unsure and all the years I work on the tractor I hated to see the decision coming ....

Regards Stefan

Green grille :wink:

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Picture/ rear end

Post by MikeR »

hi
looking at your very impressive restoration i noted two things - the drawbar arrangement is that an aftermarket fitting or original? Never seen one like that before.
Also you have what seems to be the electrical socket on the rear axle not the tool box again is that normal for German market machines
keep up the good work
Mike

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Mike,

the bracket is original Fordson, but was only fitted for the german market. The hitch itself is a Rockinger, they are fitted to mostly all classic and vintage tractors in Germany.

The electrical socket has 7 terminals, it's a must-have if you want to pull a trailer on public road. They were original mounted on the left hand fender (see picture) but I thing that it is a better fit on the bottom of the fender.

Of course, the tractor will be fitted with the original electrical socket in the tool box. I managed to find a new-old-stock socket. Pictures will come soon on my website. BTW, the socket is absolutely useless in Germany, so it will be fitted for the sake of completeness.

Regards Stefan

Picture from a german sales brochure:

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Wow, Stefan! Good work!!! And thanks for those wonderful photos and brochures from the '50s - I love that stuff.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The high trailer hitch is interesting. It confirms what I was sure of but could not confirm. It does not pull from and is not connected to the top link but is fixed to the axle castings.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

hi
interesting - your brochure picture shows the socket fixed to the mudguard with no toolbox.
One other observation - it might just be the camera angle - the seat pan and bracket from the rear view look different as well - more curved if you see what i mean - do you think it is different from UK spec
Mike

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Well maybe it is a different seat, for European models. I had a much more rounded seat on mine here in Jersey.

See mine pics on this previous thread when I questioned this seat type as original or not

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... c.php?t=35

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i havent seen a set of those trailed disc harrows before but they look a very handy piece of kit, i could do with a set of them.

Regards
James

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

npaisnel - wondering about here a bit on the subject- but for the record i have 2 dextas - not meaning to boast 60 &62 both have seats like the one in your post no grooves in the top although the 62 has been heavily repaired.

But the point i was trying to make is if you look at the rear view of Stefans tractor the supporting bracket is "curved" tight to the seat pan whereas if you look in the brochure he posted and indeed all others i have ever noticed the bracket is much more vertical dropping down before going horizontal - the back of the seat pan seems to be more curved as well .
Mike

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Mike, yes, I see what you mean looking at the picture. It looks like more of an old Fergueson sprung seat rather than Fordson seat. Maybe it was original, maybe some farmer back in its past took his seat of an old Fergi and put it on the Dexta.

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

On the subject of the seat, my dexta has exactly the same seat as Stefan's and I was wondering if it was a replacement from something else or an original part, seems now I'm not the only one. My one isn't a European model as it has been in Aberdeenshire all it's life. It would be a bit of a coincidence if they had both been replaced by a F..... seat wouldn't it!!

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

Was the hinged pan seat on a spring fitted to the very early Dexta's without live pto/hydraulics?
Part of the reduced price/spec like the non-live MF35's which had that style seat, no tractormeter and 4.5" front tyres.
David

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

The hitch itself is a Rockinger, they are fitted to mostly all classic and vintage tractors in Germany.
This German solution was also used on our Deutz and is the perfect safety solution for pulling a trailer. When the trailer would tilt, the tractor will stay staight as this hitch has a central rotating axle.
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.