Finaly got the engine to the refurb shop

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
russelm
True Blue

Finaly got the engine to the refurb shop

Post by russelm »

Yesterday I finaly managed to get round to transporting the engine block and crank to my chosen machinest, he will be doing:

New liners fitted
Liners bored and honed to size
Crank re-grind

Hes also supplying me with the new shells.

So that gives me a nice little winter project to get it fully re-assembled and ready for fitting to the rest of the Dexta in the spring.

Anybody get any recommendations on the best source for a new wiring loom?
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Finaly got the engine to the refurb shop

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Russelm
Are you going to have it in as original condition or are you wanting a more modern approach with indicators and brake lights etc to make more safer on the road?
If you go for the latter then I recently got Oscar to load up my dexta wiring loom drawing and advice here on these pages (look at the top section 'Looking for information?).
Regards
Jerry Coles
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Bensdexta
True Blue

Wiring Loom

Post by Bensdexta »

I'm told that if you want a 'concours' loom, Autosparks in Nottingham is a good place. They do alot of vintage looms and also I believe some OEM looms, and not particularly expensive.

Their Dexta looms have the original wire colours which is nice.

If you ask they will supply a loom 'in braid' without cable end fittings, so you can trim to length and fit your own, which will be useful for me as I have some non standard bits like my ignition switch.

Let us know which loom you choose and how you get on. :wink:

All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

michael dyer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by michael dyer »

This reply will possibily get me removed from the forum; however here goes.

I have been approached by the local parish council; they have an ancient TE 20 (TVO) tractor which they use for cutting grass (towing a set of gang mowers) on the village green; the tractor has a cracked block, still runs but they need to keep topping up with water to stop it over heating; they can'nt seem to get it repaired or get a replacement engine. I have looked on the fergy forums; but no luck

Is it possible to have a cast iron block repaired; if so any any suggestions of a suitable repairer ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have you/they tried Ron Greet the dismantler down your way? Another person would be Malcolm Hipperson nr Downham Market. Engines should be reasonably easy to get hold of, they are similar throughout the range.

If it is just a water leak from a crack then Molecular Metal, Belzona might be the answer but be prepared to pay. We did find a person who "stitched" cracks very successfully too.

If you repair it, drill the ends and fit a brass rivet to stop the crack expanding further.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Thanks Jerry

Fairly standard is the answer, I can easily wire in some extras in the future if I decide to go for a few mods e.g. brake lights etc.

Thanks Ben, thats useful as they are only 10 miles up the road from me!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Autosparks

Post by Bensdexta »

russelm wrote:Thanks Ben, thats useful as they are only 10 miles up the road from me!
Let me know what you think - by pm if need be! Hope to be getting a harness soon. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Just had a call to say that the block and crank are ready to collect, total cost £271.20 (including new bearings).

Going to collect said items on Thursday so will take some pics and post them up.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Got said items back, very nice job and a SUPERB price.

Cleaning up various parts ready for the rebuild and putting them in second hand chinese take away tubs for safe keeping!

Should start assembly next week! :D