Bonnet rubber pad

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Bonnet rubber pad

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi

Can someone please help me with the method of securing the rubber pad to the bonnet. I bought a kit from Agriline last year and they sent me a length of rubber and a handful of split rivets which I had never seen before. Firstly, what tool other than a pair of pliers would one use to fix the rivet and secondly, are the original type rivet still available? I have done a search on the net and the closest I think is the semi tubular rivet or something like that. I did think of using pop rivets but that seems wrong.

Regards
Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

I just took my old rubbers off and replaced them with new from Forge Services

That kit also came with split rivets, exactly the same as the originals I took off.

The split side goes against the rubber, the rounded head visible on the bodywork exterior.

I seem to remember using a piece of wood covered in felt type material against the rivet head and body work, splitting the end of the river then using a small pin hammer to gently splay the rivet legs.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

Thanks for your response it sounds like a good method especially the trick with the felt covered block of wood. The rivets that I removed from my bonnet were around 2mm dia. with hollow centres. The head around 3.5 - 4mm dia. was a flattish convex shape, the same as the new rivets but underneath a tiny washer was fitted over the rivet and then burred. Hope you understand what I mean.

I will keep looking I may still stumble over some hollow rivets.

Regards
Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

So yours had hollow rivets, wonder if that was original or another little difference depending on the time of year/who was making it.
Mine was split rivets, and since we have had it from new, I know the rubbers have never been replaced before