PTO guard sticker

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Stefan
True Blue

PTO guard sticker

Post by Stefan »

Chaps,

there's a sticker on the inner side of my PTO guard. I can't figure out the complete text. I want to order a new sticker at my local sticker shop but I need your help. Maybe one of you has the same sticker on his Dexta and can tell me the text. Thanks.

Regards Stefan

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Stefan

My guess is that it should read something like this:

"GUARD MUST BE REMOVED WHEN USING IMPLEMENTS OTHER THAN THOSE DRIVEN BY POWER TAKE OFF SHAFT"

I had a look in my operators manual but there was nothing, hope someone is able to help you.

Regards
Mervyn

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Try "Guard must not be removed when using implements other than those driven by the PTO shaft".
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Looking at the spacing available, I dont think 'Must not be' will fit in the space available? difficult to tell from the photo, you would have to count up the letters required and measure the spacing

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think it says 'If this cover is not lost it will be a bleedin' miracle'

:lol:

DWD

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

'Guard not to be removed" may be?
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

I am now 40, and have been driving our remaining Dexta since I was 6. We used to have 3 of them, and also driven many from local neighbouring farms.

Until this post, I never knew a PTO guard even existed for the Dexta, I have certainly never seen one fitted to any Dexta!

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Mervyn
What you said seems to make the most sense.
i.e. guard must be removed when using an implement (plough) except when using something driven by a power take off shaft (rotovator)
Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though.
Kiwi kev

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Interesting post and ideas, I have never seen a sticker on the pto guard but you chaps have some interesting ideas on the wording.

Kev and Mervyn might be right but, if you were not using an implement on the PTO then surely you should have the shaft covered. On the other hand it might foul the implement like the one does on my Nuffy.

Neil. my friends in the HSE will be visiting your area. Never seen a PTO guard on a Dexta indeed! Every Dexta had two when it left the factory, one over the shaft and one shield to connect onto the old style metal guard on the implement.

DWD, I think yours is the best answer however :D E-Mail me your full address and I will send you a (RARE) Fordson Tractor Pages pen.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Come to think of it, only remember one tractor that had a guard on it, and that was the Ford 5610 4WD.

In fact none of the Dextas, MF135's (x2) Petrol MF35, IH 633, MF298, ever had guards that I ever saw...Oh I think the Renault 75 may have had one...and a cab too...luxury

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Looks like Mervyn may have called it.

Our '62 Super Dexta has the word "MUST" still legible followed by a 2 letter word ending in an "E".

Cheers,

Les

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

wording

Post by kiwiland dexta »

The wording definitely reads "guard must be removed when using implements other than those driven by power take off shaft"
I managed to get a guard in as new condition for $1 on an online auction! I have a photo, if you want a copy let me know. Cheers, Derek
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

I would suggest that the PTO guard is only useful if you plan to give Isadora Duncan a ride on the back standing on the lift arms :lol:

DWD

(in case you do not follow English humour http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isadora_Duncan )

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Guys,
many thanks for all your comments. And special thanks to Derek.

Hmm ... Isadona Duncan? BTW, the lady is dead for some 80 years :D

And if she were still alive, she would have problems to find a good hold during the ride :lol:

Regards Stedan

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

She might have found modern TV and DVD players interesting. Plenty of SCARFF sockets. :twisted:
Brian

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

:lol:

DWD

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

pikkies

Post by kiwiland dexta »

let's see if my photo posting skills are up to scratch now I have a bit of time to play... Cheers, Derek.

you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Derek,

that's fantastic, thanks so much for the picture. What a great forum over here ... :D

Regards Stefan