MF35 glow plug & resevoir system

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nevis
True Blue

MF35 glow plug & resevoir system

Post by Nevis »

A friend has a Dexta which has had the inlet preheat system modified to use the MF35 glowplug which, since the fuel pipe is connected directly to glowplug, has (I presume) a bimetal strip to let fuel through directly onto the element only when it is hot enough.
The fuel feed comes from a remote auxiliary resevior which I think on the MF is filled from the injector spill pipe.

This system seems to work much better than the one on my standard Dexta so I am contemplating changing to this system.

I am interested to get any feedback / thoughts from anyone who has done or thought about this modification

Regards

Andy

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Re: MF35 glow plug & resevoir system

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

I think 3cyl MF35 s allways have been fairly good starters. don't think it's just down to the setup. With a Dexta you have the option to use the primer pump if you need to. All things equal between the two tractors, i dont think the Fergy setup has much advantage, Jim
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

dexta09b
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dexta09b »

hi there main advantage of the thermostart heater plug is its ease of use,i always felt you needed three hands to cold start a dexta with the orignal dry plug and primer pump also you dont have to remember to turn of the fuel tap at the manifold.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Thermostarts setups do work VERY well and I have to say, are superior to the Dexta setup which is fiddly to use.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

if you do it get a plug for a 4 cylinder 35 or fergie 20 diesel, 3 cyl 35 threads are different to dexta.
sometimes you need 4!!!

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Thanks for that info - it's exactly what I needed