Solenoid clicking

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

Solenoid clicking

Post by niallsdexta »

Please do not shot me as electric is not my strong point! :roll: My Super has developed a problem of not starting, the solenoid just keeps opening and closing but the tractor does not turn over, I have tried the earth on the battery and this is good, and also onto the body of the tractor, good clean connection, so no problem there, there is also a good charge in the battery, I replaced the solenoid for the not so pretty but supposedly better square type, no help, so I am at my wits end here, could it be the tarter motor? :scratchhead:

Any help anyone can give I will really appreciate.

Thanks
Niall
I don’t know what I am doing!

roromac
True Blue

Re: Solenoid clicking

Post by roromac »

If you've replaced the solenoid and it still ticks that is odd as it should, with a good earth, good charge and good live just clunk once. If you short the two terminals on the solenoid - in other words bybass it, then the starter motor should spin. If it does not then your problem is either the connection battery to solenoid or more likely after the solenoid - possibly the motor. Take care to only short those two - do not touch the body. - a ring spanner pressed against the two should work. As long as the starter lever isn't pushed, there's no danger of moving anything other than the starter motor.
Rob

roromac
True Blue

Post by roromac »

Thinking about it, the problem has to be the wiring to the solenoid as only a poor voltage would allow the solenoid to tick. And you've replaced the unit so it's unlikely that two would be faulty. Worth the try of shorting the two major terminals though just to prove the point.
Rob

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Are you sure the battery is good? Clicking solonoid is classic symptom of duff battery. How old is the battery? What voltage is it holding when you try to start (ie with battery under load)? Does it start OK with another battery or jumped off a largish car?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Niall,

We've often had to scrape or brush the battery posts and clamp on ours.
For some reason it builds up a glaze between the two on the Dexta?
Much more than any other tractor or vehicle we have.

Les

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just a small point! Shorting across the terminals on the solenoid could arc and burn the posts so that you cannot get the nuts off. Been there, done that, eaten the pie! :cry:

Clicking solenoid is usually bad connection as has been covered in other posts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi Guys,

Just to give you all an update on how things went, after pulling my hair out looking at all sorts and then deciding that I must need a new battery, I noticed (somehow) that when the solenoid was clicking the side lights of the tractor or the horn was not working at all, so I thought thats odd, checked my battery kill switch and it was turned right around, I rotated it back a wee bit and the lights came on full! :shock: tryed again and she started up like her first day, my problem was the auld kill switch all along, removed it from circuit and shes been a good girl ever since!

I am oure chuffed! :beer:

Thanks for your help with this one, it just goes to show be persistant as you never know where the problem is!
I don’t know what I am doing!

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

A clear case of "I saw later" Don't you just wish Dexta's could speak.
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.