Oil leak under injector pump

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Oil leak under injector pump

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hello,

I have noticed an oil leak leak from under my injector pump. The oil is very clean as opposed to that in the sump which is slightly off colour so that to me looks like it could be coming from the inj. pump as that oil was recently replaced. I did have the pump serviced /overhauled some time ago and if the tractor has run 2 hours since is a lot, whether they did a good job is another question. The oil seems to weep out from between the bottom of the pump and where it rests on the engine block. Could it possibly be leaking from the control shaft seal or camshaft bearing oil seal?
Just checked the oil level and nothing comes out of the hole, obviously thats where it is leaking from, but where? :?

I am loathe to remove the pump again but if that has to be done then be it so. Any previous knowledge or experience with above problem would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think you have got it Mervyn, control shaft seal :cry: Even with a clean engine and new oil you might have got a bit of discolouration if it was engine oil, by now.

When you visit your repairer, wear a pair of those large South African hobnail boots similar to what your cricket team was wearing when they kicked Englands A**e in that last Test. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Brian thanks for the quick confirmation. I'd love to do what you have suggested. Who do you trust today? However I should have been more vigilant when the pump was off the tractor. Anyway you can't cry over spilt milk. Off she will have to come. Does that mean the repairers will have to strip it again?

Brian I think you are being a bit hard on your boys, they did show some guts at the end. Lets wait and see what happens at the next game. :buddies:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
I thought Dexta's didn't lubricate with oil? I thought it was the Diesel fuel that did the lubrication? Must be another kind of injector pump than I have on mine.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mark

You are right thinking that, as the pnematic pump is self lubricating using your words, as apposed to my pump which is the later version being mechnical which does use oil for lubricating. My tractor has a 1963 Super Dexta engine and the rest of it 1961 Dexta.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Mervyn,
That explains it then, you had be wondering.
I remember when I put my injector pump on after the overhaul, and I left a bolt out behind it, and it leaked oil before I figured I left a bolt out. But you said it was clean oil and the sump oil was black, so that's not your problem is it.
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mark
So you know about those wretched bolts at the back. A bit of a bugger when you haven't got the right tools. My first attempt to remove my pump was quite an education, anyway thanks for 3/8" drive sockets and extender bar.

Mark, I did think that it might be those bolts at the back that was leaking, I am petrified to tighten them too much in case they strip the thread. When I first took the pump off I noticed that a couple of the threads were stripped so had to have helicoils put in. I am going to remove the pump tomorrow and see if I can find the problem.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Mervyn,
Yes they are tough until you figure out that a good 12 in extension bar. I also use a swivel on the end of it with short socket.
I've got problems with my Dexta right now, my son was bush hogging our bottom off and the pto clutch went down. I'm going to go start me a new thread about it.
Take care Mervyn.
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Guys

After re tightening the bolts that secure the pump and hoping that that would stop the leak - nothing doing. Eventually removed the pump a few minutes ago and bingo, the control shaft oil seal is leaking. Now as you suggested Brian, those boots need to come out. I'll take it in to them tomorrow and hear what they say. :x

Mervyn

Bensdexta
True Blue

Injector pump bolts

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Yes they are tough until you figure out that a good 12 in extension bar. I also use a swivel on the end of it with short socket.
Hi,
I'm planning to take my injector pump off. Could someone please tell me what size socket is needed (I'm not at home now but want to get the right kit), and ideally post a pic of the socket +extension bar etc. Those back bolts look a pain...
Many thanks,
Ben

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hello Ben

The bolt head is 13mm and I used a 3/8" drive socket set with a 6" extention bar. The extention bar is 1/4" so in my case I had to use a reducer from 3/8" to 1/4". I do have a 3/8 ext bar but found it too long about 10" long. What I also used to get the lower back bolt out was a swivel adaptor at the 13mm socket end and brought the ext bar out between the pump and the oil filter cup. The middle back bolt is not that bad to get out nither is the top back bolt except I pulled the throttle control leaver forward to get the socket to fit. I found it preferable to disconect the throttle linkage to make space. What I also had to do was remove the oil filter assembly to make space to slide the pump out. You may find the pump stuck fast so just give it a bit of a bump and it should come unstuck. Oh! there are 4 bolts to remove and in my case one nut to remove. Do not remove the smaller bolts close to the 13mm bolts.I think from memory they are 11mm bolts.

I will try and take some pics of the tools tomorrow and email them to you Ben.

Good luck
Mervyn

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn,
Many thanks.
I'm plucking up courage to remove my engine over Christmas for rebuilding, now I've got the front axle and loader frame off. I've found that Jenolite rust treatment will eventually free even the most rusted bolts. I want to get the injector pump off for servicing too.
All the best,
Ben

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Correction: The size of the bolts is 1/2af not 13mm metric.

Alright. I know that 13mm is what people use but it is slightly larger and will take the corners off a 1/2af if it is tight.

Been there, done that tied the bandage! :oops:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good morning Brian

I'm sorry, you are right 1/2" on the nose. What put me off was that I bought new bolts with the correct thread but was told they had 13mm heads. I have just checked and my 1/2" socket fits nice and snug over the head.

Have a super day
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good morning Brian

I'm sorry, you are right 1/2" on the nose. What put me off was that I bought new bolts with the correct thread but was told they had 13mm heads. I have just checked and my 1/2" socket fits nice and snug over the head.

Nice job to keep you warm and out of the snow Ben. I will be posting off some pics on the tools that I used to remove my pump.

Have a super day
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Ben

Securing my pump there were 4 bolts and i nut that I removed. The nut is just in front of the quadrant pump stop at about 8 o' clock on the outside of the pump or left side. The other 4 bolt are positioned at about 10 o' clock, 1 o'clock,3 o' clock and 5 o' clock.

The 1/4" drive bar is 150mm(6") long and the 3/8" drive bar is 250mm(10").

Thanks for the offer to post those pics onto the forum. I don't know what the problem is here, I now remember what to do but still no joy. Could it be all that other junk that keeps flashing onto the screen, stuff like winning a this and a that nonsense? :x

I'll keep trying.

Brian, I took my pump into the service guys (with out those boots) and he replaced the oil seals for nothing. Early Christmas present.

Regards
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi Mervyn,

They must have read this thread about the South African hobnail boots, and knew you were coming. I'm sure Brian left out the part about the boots having sharp toes, or is that what we yanks wear when we go to places like that, hummmm yes I believe it is.

Mervyn, if it were me I'd tighten up your injector pump with a 3/8's extension and ratchet, before I'd use a 1/4. I'd be afraid I couldn't get the proper torque using the smaller size. I know you said you were afraid of stripping the threads, and after having to put the helicoils in I would be to. But I'd still go with the 3/8's. Maybe if you wore some tennis shoes instead of the big hobnail boots, that probably would make a tremendous advantage for you.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Mervyn, if it were me I'd tighten up your injector pump with a 3/8's extension and ratchet, before I'd use a 1/4. I'd be afraid I couldn't get the proper torque using the smaller size. I know you said you were afraid of stripping the threads, and after having to put the helicoils in I would be to. But I'd still go with the 3/8's.
Can anyone advise what the torque should be?
thanks,
Ben

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ben,
I always tightened mine up pretty tight. Probably would be 40lbs torque. I only use a torque wrench on the finer details of the motor.
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hello Mark

Fortunately I did not need to wear them boots to persuade them, I phoned the guys before hand and they were very obliging.

Actually it was a very simple proceedure to replace those seals, he changed them on the counter in front of me and it only took about 3 minutes. I have put the pump back now and hoping thats the end of my leak.

Thanks Mark for the advice with regards the 1/4" ratchet. I used a 3/8" Gedore ratchet with reducer to 1/4" extn bar. I did make sure that the bolts were pulled up well.

Brians advice was also heeded by using a 1/2" socket rather than the 13mm I originally used.

Thanks for the festive wishes Mark and hope the same for you and your family.

While we on the subject of festive wishes may I take this opportunity in wishing all our members and families a very Merry Christmas and and Prosperous New Year. :beer:

Kind regards
Mervyn