finding a number plate

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

finding a number plate

Post by oldrocker72 »

hiya everyone i need your help well cleaning the paint from my lambourne cab i found this painted on it could this be the original number plate for my dexta or just something that was painted on her at sum point any advice would b appreciated regards mark :? Image

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: finding a number plate

Post by Bensdexta »

See this thread:
http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=55038

It looks like xJO is an Oxford reg, http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/where/gb.htm so suggest you contact the oxford CC archives, with the reg on your cab.
If you also tell them your engine number, which seems to be what councils took as the 'chassis frame or car number', hopefully they can match it with their archives and send you a certified copy.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

hiya ben my friend said he went to the oxford cc offices for his massey 65 all u get from them he said was the name of the first person that it was sold to and he had to take all the casting numbers serial number and engine number or else they wouldnt help him but im deffo gonna go n see wot they say thanks for the links nice to know its a local tractor :D
regards mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi,
I suggest you give them a ring and ask for archives, see what they say. I've just done the same for my Dexta at the Worcestershire CC, and they said email them the details, reg no, tractor type, eng no and they will look it up and send a certified copy of my reg.

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

HI
i have just foned them and they said all they need is the reg plate number and what tractor it is and they can look 4me and print a copy off 4 a small fee they dont hold serial numbers the woman told me but im gonna email them and see who first ownd it she said that the dvla would accept the copy n send me the original reg number as easy as pie but i will see what happens good luck with your search ben
regards mark :)ImageImage

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

To me it reads 7 ? 6 KJO :scratchhead:

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

796 KJO i reckon
Mark

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

HI
mervyn and marcusgs ur both close ive got sum more paint off and it says 776kjo and its a local plate as i live in the county it was regd in so ive got just a quick trip to the archives and i can find out who bought it first or which dealer sold it if they regd it first before selling it thats what i was told as they dont hold any other info on it but im glad i found it under the paint the only thing is do i restore her cab as well or just put a roll bar on her instead anyway thanks for looking
regards mark :)
Last edited by oldrocker72 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

oldrocker72 wrote:.. its a local plate as i live in the county it was regd in so ive got just a quick trip to the archives and i can find out who bought it first or which dealer sold it if they regd it first before selling it thats what i was told as they dont hold any other info on it :)
I would hope the archives also record the engine number together with the reg, first owner & date of registration. That's what's on my buff log book from Worcestershire CC together with make, model & colour. Without the engine no (or serial no) there is no way to link a reg to any particular tractor, eg in your case the cab could have been changed. After 50 yrs I doubt the first owner can tell us much!

I'll be interested in how you get on. Worcestershire say they'll reply to me within a week.

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

well ive had an email back from the county records office and they said theyve got the reg number and it matches the info i gave them about my tractor they said it was first regd by oxford borough council so im gonna ask them to send me a copy of the info and then il know even more about it. Well i hope you have the same luck with your search as i am with mine mate regards mark 8)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

oldrocker72 wrote:well ive had an email back from the county records office and they said theyve got the reg number and it matches the info i gave them about my tractor they said it was first regd by oxford borough council so im gonna ask them to send me a copy of the info and then il know even more about it. Well i hope you have the same luck with your search as i am with mine mate regards mark 8)
Good news! I've also got my certified copy of the register from Worcester CC for £6.50. But it just gives the address of the first owner, who I knew anyway from the buff log book, and the agricultural engineers who supplied the tractor (Coulters of Evesham), who I also knew cos there's a plate on the bonnet.

However in your case where you don't have the buff log book, you can at least check the registration date is consistent with the number/codes on your tractor. If yours was actually owned by Oxford Borough Council hopefully their archives can turn up some more info, eg when they sold it, to whom. :wink:
I wonder what they used it for?

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

sum interesting news were ive been cleaning the old paint of theres a sale plate on the side of the bonnet that says curtis & horn oxford & aylesbury so i know were it came from ive googled the name but they closed in 1967 so i cant find any of there sale records or what info they had about the tractor but never mind im still waiting for my certificate to arrive but im going on holiday at the weekend so it will probly turn up well im away anyway this is fun finding out the history of my tractor i just hope i can still keep the original reg number regards mark :?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

oldrocker72 wrote:sum interesting news were ive been cleaning the old paint of theres a sale plate on the side of the bonnet that says curtis & horn oxford & aylesbury so i know were it came from ive googled the name but they closed in 1967 so i cant find any of there sale records or what info they had about the tractor but never mind im still waiting for my certificate to arrive but im going on holiday at the weekend so it will probly turn up well im away anyway this is fun finding out the history of my tractor i just hope i can still keep the original reg number regards mark :?
Your reg doesn't appear to have been reissued, you can check here http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor ... le+Enquiry
so there's a good chance you can get it. Act swiftly! :wink:

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

THATS good to know so hopefully il be able to get the original reg back then one thing im not sure about is what colour diesel i can use ive been reading a few forums and in them it says that if used as agriculture tractor i can use red but when i use it at road runs and rallies then ive got to use derv (white diesel) which is it as im confused as im gonna use mine for both any info would be much appreciated regards mark :?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

oldrocker72 wrote:THATS good to know so hopefully il be able to get the original reg back then one thing im not sure about is what colour diesel i can use ive been reading a few forums and in them it says that if used as agriculture tractor i can use red but when i use it at road runs and rallies then ive got to use derv (white diesel) which is it as im confused as im gonna use mine for both any info would be much appreciated regards mark :?
If you're engaged in agriculture, forestry or horticulture, you can use red for those purposes; I suspect you need a farm or business to qualify, eg with agricultural holding number and vat number, ie not just be a hobby farmer with some pet sheep. Law regarding contracting may be more involved as is using tractors/trailers for haulage. Equine business doesn't qualify either. The law regarding ploughing matches has been clarified recently in our favour and I believe it is now allowed to use red for these, including travelling to from matches. I don't think road runs class as 'agricultural' so need white for those.

I expect others more knowledgeable can give chapter and verse, as it's an old chestnut.

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

AH i see thats what i thought well we were a 200 acre dairy farm but sold the herd and some of the land about 20 yrs ago but still kept the holding number as we still ave beef cattle n pigs on the farm so im covered then i can use the red diesel i just wont do the road runs then :)
regards mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

oldrocker72 wrote:AH i see thats what i thought well we were a 200 acre dairy farm but sold the herd and some of the land about 20 yrs ago but still kept the holding number as we still ave beef cattle n pigs on the farm so im covered then i can use the red diesel i just wont do the road runs then :)
If you're using a tractor for business purposes, it needs to comply with safety regs, eg have a roll bar (ROPS), whereas vintage tractors just used for road runs etc don't need one. Is your frame strong enough to class as a ROPS, or is it a 'coffin' cab? You can do the road runs, just need to drain the tank, change the filter and fill with white.

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

That looks like a lambourn cab frame to me which I am fairly sure would comply with ROPS safety regulations.
Mark

oldrocker72
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldrocker72 »

Well im back from my holiday it was good to get away yeah that is a lambourn cab and the metal work for it is realy thick metal and im sure that the cab frame would comply with the rops safety regs but i can look into it and find out for sure and let you know regards mark 8)