Adjusting the timeing, and RPM'S

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mark
True Blue

Adjusting the timeing, and RPM'S

Post by Mark »

Brian,
I'm going to adjust my valves in the next couple of days, and was wonder what is the quickest way to get the number 1 cyl on TDC? Also would it hurt to check the torque on the head this long after the overhaul?

I was also going to set my rpm's back up to 2000 rpm's, I already told you about setting them back down thinking that my son may have overwound the motor causing the push rod in the injector pump to fail.
So now if I set it back up I don't have to worry about over-winding my motor, right? I'll wait on your answers before I do this, I sure don't want to do nothing to hurt my blue mule, and cost me some money.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

We used to turn them over with a screwdriver through the timing hole and onto the starter ring.

No problem at all about retorquing the head. It was part of the 50hr and 150hr services on new tractors.

No problem on the rpm's either. They were designed to run at that speed anyway. Don't run her flat out for too long without a load though. I must say, as I get older, I like to hear them running, pulled down under load to the maximum torque point.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Would you please explain what you mentioned in the post Stefan started about setting his rpm's up. When I told him to watch and not set it to high because it will over wind. Please explain the safe guard you were talking about in that post that keeps this from happening.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer