Dexta with leaking rear axle

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
volvobaggen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta with leaking rear axle

Post by volvobaggen »

Hi, I just purchased my second dexta :D However the rear axle is leaking oil and the brakes are getting wet. Do I need to replace both the inner and outer seal to stop the leak, or is it enough to just replace the outer seal?

marcusgs
True Blue

Re: Dexta with leaking rear axle

Post by marcusgs »

Hi. My advice would be to do both, as then you won't have to take it to bits again, to do the one that you didn't do the first time, when it leaks again!!
Mark

blue32
True Blue

Re: Dexta with leaking rear axle

Post by blue32 »

Yes it is ofcoars best to change booth seals, but remember that how concerns the oil leak, it is the innerseal who is most importen, and easiest to change. the outer seal is to prevent grease from the axel-bearing and for to change that seal, will be necessary to drill several hole in the collar ring, for to crush the old collar ring...(alot of cleaning after drillling from the bearing...)(drilling is just for to prevent to much heat for the axel-bearing to take appart) and for the mounting of a new collar ring, you have to warm up the collar ring, about 350 - 400 degrees C. ---(after mounting of that new grease seal in the house for axel-bearing,then).
My point at here is if the outerseal is good enough to prevent grease to come out (but not oil...) mybee the inner seal is enough to change.

blue32