Dexta Hydraulics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Dexta Hydraulics

Post by Nick »

Morning, just got a bit of an issue with my dexta. I started it up after re-building the engine etc on friday, and brilliant, couldnt ask for better - she purrs. So i thought i would try my luck and see if the rear linkage etc worked - no!
Basicly when i got it, it had a front loader which was knackered so i took it off. The pipe feeding the loader came out the top of where the tipping pipe connects in, so i got hold of a hydraulic bung/stop thingy to blank it off.
So i tried lifting the arms and nothing happened, push the levers about a bit (i havent a clue what any do) and i couldnt get anything to work. What im wondering is, on every other dexta. there is a black knob attached to the valve block, mine does not have this, instead there is a bolt with a nut on it. What does this knob do? and could it be why i have no hydraulics?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

john.n
True Blue

Re: Dexta Hydraulics

Post by john.n »

it sends oil to the loader or tipping trailer. or if you push it in it will send oil to the rear linkage.

Regards,
John

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Do you get oil out of the port you have bunged? Take the bung out and touch the starter with the lever at the top of the quadrant. DO NOT START THE ENGINE! as things could get rather messy. :shock:

If you get oil, push your bolt thingy in until the oil stops, refit the bung and try the hydraulics.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Ok, ive tried what was suggested, and nothing has happened, no oil has come out. So i wonder, either something im doing is wrong, or is there something more sinister going on inside? :?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Does it have live hydraulics? If not, have you got your pto in gear? Or does the Dexta not need this?

Mark
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you have no oil coming out it does not look good. On the side of the pump near your right ankle there is a bung screwed into the hydraulic pump. Remove that and see if oil comes out when you crank the engine.

Before doing this though, two simple checks.
1. Have you got any oil in the back end? Level plug behind PTO selector on left of R/Axle housing. Filler behind seat.
2. Does the PTO work? The pump drives off the PTO drive gear so you do not have to have the PTO in gear but the PTO should drive if the gear is OK.

You may have a pump failure.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Ok i will try that brian, embarrasingly i thought i had checked the oil level, but i took the level plug out of the gearbox (with the filler right above) :oops: . I will see if there is oil or not later, but the pto is in gear.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I checked the oil level at the level plug, and none came out, so 3 gallons of oil later and it was the correct level. Started it up after fiddling about with the valve, and it works!
Only thing is, you have to really pull the lever up to maximum to get it to lift, but it lifts nice and fast.
What does the lever on the right of the seat as your sat on it do? I take it this is position or qualitrol, but which is which and how do they work? I assume the big draft control spring attached to where the top link goes?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nick wrote:What does the lever on the right of the seat as your sat on it do? I take it this is position or qualitrol, but which is which and how do they work?
The selector lever you describe points down for qualitrol, forwards for position. See all the great info on this website, eg http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/manua ... c498244071
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!