Starter Brass Screw, For Negative Bat Lead?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Wee59dexta
True Blue

Starter Brass Screw, For Negative Bat Lead?

Post by Wee59dexta »

Has anybody seen a brass screw situated on the Starter Motor here before? The negative battery lead was fixed here, but on other dextas it seems to be at the front of the starter......

Just wondering if this is original.

Thanks again.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Starter Brass Screw, For Negative Bat Lead?

Post by Bensdexta »

Wee59dexta wrote:Has anybody seen a brass screw situated on the Starter Motor here before? The negative battery lead was fixed here, but on other dextas it seems to be at the front of the starter......
Is your tractor negative or positive earth?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Looks like an attempt to get the volt drop to the starter a bit lower.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Ben, the tractor was previously wired negative earth with an alternator, but since restoration ive fitted an generator. can anyone explain why this not is here and why previously the battery lead was attached to it?

I hope to wire the tracor soon, positive earth, so what do i do with the starter?

thanks again. (Sorry i aint been replying, ive been in hospital)

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Positive ground with an alternator is a bit of a challenge!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Given you are converting back to the standard configuration with generator and +ve earth, suggest you follow the standard wiring diagram downloadable from fordson-dexta.de (workshop manual electrical system).

Hope you're feeling better!
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

If your using a gen then its easy enough, simply swap the bnattery round and re-flash the gen field winding.

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Has anyone ever seen this on a starter before? It's a Lucas, i've had it fixed twice but it cracked the terminal and split. lol :lol:

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Hi, this brass screew place is unusual on dexta starter,s...I have not seen it on those. But if someone has moved the "inputbrasscreew" onto side of the starter ?? it very well still can funk...but this indikate again that someone has rebuilt this point. The screew have also to go through the starter from the brushes and be insulated from the ground of starter. - It also can very well be some groundscreew??? (then it will not be conected with the brushes...) - Take that look on it. - The starter will not affect on minus or plus... Anyway you have to check this starter, and look good on it, test and measure it. When you open up your starter for measuring you will also check the brushes - kommuntator - insulation - and manuel parts as bendix a.s.on.

blue32

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Checked the date on this starter - Its stamped October 62. Our tractor is 1959, so this is clearly not the original.

Lucas M45G 21685 D.

Is this the proper dexta starter motor?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

That date is interestingthat you found on your motor, where on the starter motor did you read it? I was not aware that there is a date stamped onto the starter motor.

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

When I cleaned the starter, as it sits on the tractor at the top, below the Lucas stamp, theres the model number, and then the numbers 10 62.

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

All startes has numbers knocked in their body, but has it often covered by paint or is on backside of the starter. It is the identification for parts too. but i still are vaiting to here how the condition ,s are on this starter. :?:

blue32

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks for that information I will have a look on my starter today.

Good luck with the repairs on your starter, it does get frustrating seeing good money spent with no progress.

Just a question about this brass terminal on the side of the starter, are there not terminals on the front of the starter?

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Opened up the starter today. The bendix is moving freely, the cummutator looks alright but the brushes are fried. The original terminal post is not connected to anything. The existing terminal which must be a redesign by someone cracked and shot off. When the tractor started there was a bang, and the starter lead was hanging loose by the side of the tractor as a result. Noboby seems to know why this occured.

Im sick of this starter and therefore i'm on the look out for an untampered, original type one. I'll be looking no more at this starter, because i'm not prepared to travel around the country, wasting time and money looking for answers on a starter which is a piece of crap! :curse:

Cheers for your interest.

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Hi we59dexta, gretings for you decision to throw it away... Mybee it can be rebuilt but it is in need for total measure,d. (The field wirings has not to be shortcut,d at any time) and the ancor and communtator need to be OHM,d... so just buy a new one and try it in a bench at first.
God luck
blue32