1959 Seat pan, logo and number plate bracket

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

1959 Seat pan, logo and number plate bracket

Post by npaisnel »

Three questions all relating to my grandfathers 1959 Dexta. I am not restoring it, just keeping it running, but trying to get it back to as close to original fit, for the time when I do eventually restore it properly

Would it have had a Fordson badge or similar down the side of the bonnet? cant see any holes where one might have been fitted? just want to know if I should put one back on or not as I thinI do have one from spares kept from tractors I have broken last year.

Same question regarding the number plate bracket on the rear axle. The number plate light is there, and the number has always been painted on the rear housing. In my pile of bits I found a bracket that fits opposite the number plate light, that would support the other end of the number plate. Would it have been there originally, or was this a later addition?

And finally the seat pan.
Can anyone tell me if this is the original early seat pan design, or if my father or grandfather changed it some time since they bought it.

I was going to junk the worse pan and put on a better one, so repaired the better one, went to fit it and noticed that the one on the tractor was different.
I have now repaired the one that was on the tractor as well, so have both, but would like to put the correct one back on.

Oh, off topic....was there a clear out of the old forum user database? Just that I have had to re-register this morning. I have ben away for a while, and have not checked the forum for a while now, so probably missed any system /admin messages?

Neil

Note ridges down side, no remains of X shaped moldings /ribs, and note the mod under the seat, that helps support the old broken seat, and also is a useful second tool box for toplink pins etc.

Next to the better one of different design with moldings

Last edited by npaisnel on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

npaisnel,

Comparing my Dexta which is a 1960 to your 1959 the seat pan should have grooves to get rid of any rainwater from the sitting surface, like the one on the R/H side of your photo.

Regarding the badge, a 1959 Dexta would only have the vertical "Fordson Dexta" badge on the centre section of the front cowling between the two grilles, If someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think there was any badge on the bonnet.

The number plate brackets as I'm led to believe were an extra and not supplied with a new tractor as some tractors were never registered and therefore did not require these brackets.

Regards,

Barry

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ok, thanks.

The old seat did have D shaped drain holes, which I have now cut in. If it is not Dexta, wonder where it came from? anyone any idea

Strange that it had 1 number plate bracket, with the number plate light, and not the other. We have had it since new, and no one recalls doing any work to the rear axle that might have meant taking the other bracket off, and as far as they are aware the reg number was always painted on from new

Cheers

Neil

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

on my 1959 dexta the seat is a little bit shallower as there is no place for the cushion back rest, and the 2 d shaped holes are for securing the seat cushion onto the seat to stop it blowing away or falling off when you lift the seat up.

Regards

James

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

That sounds like yet another variant!

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Bump back to the top....anyone else????

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Npaisnel,
I agree with Barry T, I own a 1959 Dexta and it had the groves to let the rain through, and a back rest. I broke my back in 1990, and I had to buy a hydraulic seat for mine, couldn't stand the jarring of the original seat. I still have the old one put up in the shed, just in case I need it.
Also my Dexta had badges on the bonnet running length ways, that said Fordson Dexta on them. That's the only badges I've seen on the bonnet. I'm sure someone else will get in this thread to help you some more.
Regards
Mark

PS
After some thought I do remember seeing a picture of a Dexta with a Decal on the bonnet, I don't remember what year it was though.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Mark,
A lot of Dextas in this country had a decal on the hood that said Ford 2000. I don't know if they were put on by the dealer when they were new, or put on after they were repainted, but I'll bet they didn't come from Dagenham that way.
JC

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

I can understand about groves to let the rain drain, but to let the rain out, the grooves would have to have a hole at the bottom of it...no holes in the grooves of my grooved seat. The D shaped holes are on the flat area, would have been used to strap the seat cushion down. I reckon the moulded groves are more for strength rather than drain water.

I think the flat based one would have had a back rest also, the holes are there, and do line up with the back rest of the later seat.

I should be able to meet up with a chap down the road from me that used to be a mechanic on them when they were new at the local dealership here in Jersey. Have to make a point of seeing him this weekend. He still restores old Dextas himself. Maybe he can clear this up.

Thanks All

Neil

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

further to the comment i made in relation to Stefans seat i am sure i have read somewhere ( just remembered it is listed as an accesserie in a booklet called fordson dexta facts i downloaded from somewhere - this site in fact!! see main page/ dexta) that there were 2 seats standard and "delux". the delux had the backrest i believe. The brochure refers to it as "Extra comfort seat"
Mike

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

I have found another tractor on a next door farm that has its same original seat as mine...and I have rebuilt mine wrong :cry:
Note the raised hump in the middle, I made mine flat across the front, see pictures of the repaired one in the post above.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

Sorry about the little error. If you search back to 19 April 2008 you will see a post by KennyH, My Dexta, showing his smart restored Dexta which has a seat pan with the bulge. I'm not sure what year Kenny's Dexta is but I'm sure it must be close to yours. Just curious but why would that bulge have been put there in the first place? :?

Kind regards
Mervyn

KENNY H
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by KENNY H »

Hi guys my dexta is 1960 and the seat is the original one fitted . It seems this might be the same as the debate on the grills colour, it could be that any of the seats are the correct ones. Kenny.

llanfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by llanfair »

:roll: Misunderstanding, The original seat on my 1959 dexta is the same as the one on your tractor, but has a bulge in the front and two D shaped holes. Sorry about the exactly.
Regards, LLANFAIR.