Lift Pump Question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jeveriss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Lift Pump Question

Post by jeveriss »

I bought a Dexta in the spring and although she runs okay, the engine is slow to pick up, seems to drop a cylinder sometimes and simply lacks grunt. I've changed the fuel filter and injector nozzles and had them calibrated which made a small difference but I'm still not happy. It never occurred to me to check the lift pump until now, and the outlet valve was completely wrecked so I've ordered an overhaul kit.
As the injector pump draws it's own fuel anyway, and the tractor has always been quite easy to start will the lift pump make a huge amount of difference?

marcusgs
True Blue

Re: Lift Pump Question

Post by marcusgs »

My thoughts on this are: It was put there for a reason, so if it's not working correctly, something will suffer (in your case fuel delivery)
I would think it will make at least some difference, and if it doesn't you have eliminated one more (relatively cheap) possible cause, the next stage will of course be an injector pump test/overhaul.
I would also do a compression check, to make sure that you are not loosing compression either through leaking valves, or combustion pressure leaking past piston rings.

Regards, Mark
Mark