wiring an alternator

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kiwiland dexta
True Blue

wiring an alternator

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Hi, I have been reading the topics about alternator conversions, I have acquired one from a mini, a Lucas 16ACR. The terminals are as below, I can use a spade connector from one of the large terminals to either the Battery +ve or the solenoid, does the other large terminal (the two are effectively one as they are joined) connect to anything and what do I connect the small terminal to?
Appreciate your advice, Derek. :?

you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

pjjms
True Blue

Re: wiring an alternator

Post by pjjms »

I think you only need 2 wires. The large one to the battery and the small one one to the charge light. The other wire on the charge light should be getting power from the ignition switch (+ with an alternator fitted).

I think the charge light in effect supplies positive to the small terminal on the alternator to excite the windings after start up, and without this it will not start charging. After that the charge light sees positive on both sides of the bulb so the light goes out.

Make sure the wire from the large terminal is heavier than the standard one as the alternator will supply more current than a generator.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: wiring an alternator

Post by Jerry Coles »

Take a look at my dexta wiring circuit diagram here:

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?f=3&t=4

To be tidy Lucas Alternator connector plugs are available from suppliers such as here http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/47.

The +ve feed from the light supplies excitation of the Alternator.
The cable to your battery/Starter Solenoid should be heavier as PJMS says and why not replace that tired looking connector anyway.
You will need a different size fanbelt as well.
The old Regulator inside the binnacle must be removed/disconnected too.
So it's a heavy cable from the Battery to the Alternator (take it off the starter Solenoid feed stud.
A lighter cable from one side of the Ign warning light, the other side of the warning light goes to the ing switch on the feed out when switched on.
I would also reccomend soldering the cables into the spade connectors rather than just crimping for a better electrical connection.
I see you still have the plug retaining clip on the Alternator, don't lose it. The two large connectors are useful if the Alternator is used on a split charge system (Two batteries) so you can run a seperate wire to each Battery.
On Military FFR (Fitted for Radio) Landrovers etc Alternators that size of spade connector were expected to pass 90Amp!
Hope this is of use.
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's