Dexta steering wheel

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
conar22
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta steering wheel

Post by conar22 »

Hi all,does anyone happen to know of where i can get a top quality replacement steering wheel for my dexta? I got one from a well know supplier beginning with A....... but was of poor quality and didnt fit the splines well at-all,i returned the steering wheel to them but decided not to accept a replacement fearing it wold be the same. Any advice will be much appreciated :)

russelm
True Blue

Re: Dexta steering wheel

Post by russelm »

This is something I need to sort shortly, I have the original wheel so was considering getting it restored by somebody like:

http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk/index.php
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Timely Q, just wondering what to do about my steering wheel! :scratchhead:

My original St wheel if I can find it, was in v poor condition, so a new one is in order. I bought one from down South. It is by QTP and looks OK and fits the steering nut splines nicely.

But it is recessed on the underside, so won't fit over the steering column dust cap (957E-3520),
:)

I looked at at one from A...., but that was the same - recessed underneath. I'm told the outer rim of the recess is just plastic so the advice is just to hack saw off the plastic flush with the bottom of the splines. Then the St wheel will clamp down on top of the dust cover, which itself sits on the top nut shoulder.

Has anyone got a better idea? Can someone confirm that the original wheels are flush across the bottom of the splines? :wink:
TIA
Last edited by Bensdexta on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Why not fit a washer or spacer?

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Tubal Cain wrote:Why not fit a washer or spacer?
One could - it would be 1/4" thick and would reduce the no of threads holding on the securing nut.

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Bensdexta wrote:Timely Q, just wondering what to do about my steering wheel! :scratchhead:

My original St wheel if I can find it, was in v poor condition, so a new one is in order. I bought one from down South. It is by QTP and looks OK and fits the steering nut splines nicely.

But it is 'countersunk' on the underside, so won't fit over the steering column dust cap (957E-3520),
:)

I looked at at one from A...., but that was the same - countersunk underneath. I'm told the outer rim of the countersink is just plastic so the advice is just to hack saw off the plastic flush with the bottom of the splines. Then the St wheel will clamp down ontop of the dust cover, which itself sits on the top nut shoulder.

Has anyone got a better idea? Can someone confirm that the original wheels are flush across the bottom of the splines? :wink:
TIA
Hi, My new steerinwheel is just like yours, I,d tok a wooden planer and shape of the black material so it planed with the spline, and so it fit much better at my tractor :D
mikkel

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

blue32 wrote:Hi, My new steeringwheel is just like yours. I took a wooden planer and shape of the black material so it planed with the spline, and so it fits much better on my tractor :D mikkel
OK, so shaving off the black plastic material flush with the spline gives a good fit. :wink:

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Yes Ben...and then the tread,s also comes better out for the topnut.

mikkel

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I have just looked at my steering wheel which I bought from Sparex and it is also like yours Ben. I don't have a dust cap yet so cannot tell you if it would foul the securing of the steering wheel. I did also look at my old wheel and the spline seems to extend out at least a 1/8 inch beyound the bakelite, could also have been due to wear. Anyone wishing to part with a spare dustcap please let me know.

Thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks for looking Mervyn. Agriline do a chrome dust cap (5205) for £4.50.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks Ben, I will need to order one, no urgency though.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Thanks Ben, I will need to order one, no urgency though.
I see you've been looking for a dust cap since 2007! I thought SA was quite dusty! :wink:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I see you are keeping a watchful eye on me Ben :) . To be honest with you I don't remember that. My little dexta is very far from working Ben, hence the no urgency comment.I did get a friend of mine to try and make one for me but it is on the thick side, it is aluminium. My health has been bugging me so it takes a great effort to motivate myself. Oesteo arthritis in the hips, already had a hip replacement and I'm only 58. :( I just have to keep the ol chin up and move forward.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Quote from the steering wheel repair company to recover Dotty's steering wheel. £350.00 plus VAT!

Have not found a Dexta steering wheel yet that has the right dish shape. Still looking.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:My health has been bugging me so it takes a great effort to motivate myself.
Sorry to hear that, and yes the years catch us all in the end! So , as someone once said (or sang!) "It's a great life if you don't weaken!" :wink:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks Ben. I will look up the song "Its a great life if yiou dont weaken".

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

With regard to the steering wheel, some people use body filler to re-profile, then sand back to a smooth finish, then paint with aerosol and varnish.... just a thought if your wheel is nearing the end of it's working life :D
Mark

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

my original wheel has 2 metal spacers fitted on top of the dust cap to allow the wheel to sit correctly. without it there are too many threads for the top nut.
Regards,
John

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

john.n wrote:my original wheel has 2 metal spacers fitted on top of the dust cap to allow the wheel to sit correctly. without it there are too many threads for the top nut.
John, What is the total thickness of the spacers? I'm thinking a 1/4" spacer under the steering wheel would be good. :wink:

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

ill have to check over the weekend for you. from memory i think they are 1/8th each.
regards,
John