Dexta died and will not start :(

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
nms-georg
True Blue

Dexta died and will not start :(

Post by nms-georg »

Hi!
My dexta died today :(

Have startedt the engine as normal, drove around (with very low rpm) for about 5 minutes and then the engine turned slowly off... It sounded like the engine isn't getting diesel. Took a look in the tank and there was about 1.5inch of Diesel in it...

I drove to the gasstation, filled up the tank and nothing. Once I try to start it - the engine is turning but isn't trying to start...

What could it be? Where do I have to start to search for the problem?

My first idea was that the dieselpipes got some dirt in it - is it possible?

Thanks,
George

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta died and will not start :(

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you checked the filter in the bottom of the diesel tank? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

A quick fix, rather than draining the tank. Turn off the fuel tap below the tank. Undo the outlet pipe. Take a simple cylindrical pedal cycle pump. Cut the rubber pump outlet tube down to about 20mm. Open the tap, there won't be much fuel running out if it's blocked and give 3 or 4 sharp pumps into the tap. Should clear it. Keep the pump in the tool box until you clean out the tank.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have you bled the fuel system to get rid of air?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

i had the blocked tap problems too

wen u crank the engine over is there white smoke comeing from the exuast , in my exprience no smoke - no fuel , it aint gonna run

i had to remove + clean my tank twice to clear the black gue that was blocking the fuel tap filter in the tank , not that easy on a dexta .
but touch wood, all mended now :beer: .
blocked fuel line , or air in it as brain said is most lightly aint it .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

jeveriss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jeveriss »

I'd check for air in the system first. My dexta stopped the other day after 2-3 hours of hard work, turned out that I hadn't tightened a line into the lift pump well enough and it had started letting air in.

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Hi Guys!
Had some time to work on my dexta today... Unfortunatelly still not running :(

1) Pumped my tank empty and cleaned the Diesel a bit
2) filled my tank again --> enough Diesel is inside
3) removed my Diesel filter, it was very dirty and changed it to a new one
4) after this I bleed the system at the diesel filter (as described in the manual) --> never did it before but it looked fine...
5) tried to bleed at the fuel pump, but I don't have the bleeding screw as described in the manuel. Is it this screw which I have to use:
http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2710/47fxjjpc_jpg.htm
6) still not running
7) have screwed up the pipes from pump to injectors and tried to start the engine. Every pipe gives the same amount of Diesel and in the same order... looks like the pump is working correct...

Now my questions:
a) Is it possible that there is a problem with the small filter in the tank, even when the pump is working right?
b) Is it possbile that all injectors are full of dirt?
c) As you know I have worked a bit with my electrical wiring. Is it possible that somewhere it is an electrical problem? If yes, which part could it be?
d) Is it possible that there is somewhere a bigger fault (mechanical) inside the engine?
e) What else could I check?

Thanks, George

jeveriss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jeveriss »

The picture is of a super dexta pump, if you've got a dexta the bleed screw is just below the number 1 (left) injector output. Fingers crossed it's just a blockage or air.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Look and see if your fuel stop is pulled out and is working right. It may be broke and won't let it start.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Hi ...georg, I ve read every answer,s above and it seem,s that the fuel system should work well at now. But I had a Dexta once who act just like yours...eccept from it still run alitle on lowest rpm. I also did do all this first check, and at the end I,d tok apart the airfilter...and there the fault was in the upper part of the filter, I can also tell that the farmer who sold it to me, did also tell the tractor had started to act like this, so therfor he sold it cheap to me.
-The airfilter have two filter, one under the bowl with oil, and one sitting opposite vay in the upper part. On my tractor it was full of dirt in the upper part, and after cleaned the hole airfilter, the Dexta run up to full range at once. p.s. many farmers only clean the low part in the filter, and forget the upper part.
If this not can work out...mybee take a better look on the pump.

mikkel

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

jeveriss wrote:The picture is of a super dexta pump, if you've got a dexta the bleed screw is just below the number 1 (left) injector output. Fingers crossed it's just a blockage or air.
Yes, I have a Super Dexta - didn't know that S/Dexta and Dexta got some different pumps... So my marked screw is correct?

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Mark wrote:Look and see if your fuel stop is pulled out and is working right. It may be broke and won't let it start.
I'm still new to the tractor business - sorry... Where do I find my fuel stop and how does it look like?

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

blue32 wrote:Hi ...georg, I ve read every answer,s above and it seem,s that the fuel system should work well at now. But I had a Dexta once who act just like yours...eccept from it still run alitle on lowest rpm. I also did do all this first check, and at the end I,d tok apart the airfilter...and there the fault was in the upper part of the filter, I can also tell that the farmer who sold it to me, did also tell the tractor had started to act like this, so therfor he sold it cheap to me.
-The airfilter have two filter, one under the bowl with oil, and one sitting opposite vay in the upper part. On my tractor it was full of dirt in the upper part, and after cleaned the hole airfilter, the Dexta run up to full range at once. p.s. many farmers only clean the low part in the filter, and forget the upper part.
If this not can work out...mybee take a better look on the pump.

mikkel
Hi Mikkel,
thx for your answer. I will try it. May be this is the problem...

What I'm still wondering is: The tractor was running as usual, then started to loose power (while in low rpm) and then went out smooth. No big crash, no big noise. Sounded like the fuel went out...

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Yes, so after all this check,s and if nothing clear it out, you might look good at the pump and injector,s too.

mikkel

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
aint old engines cool :beer:
it aint electrical

if u spin the engine over on the starter , does white smoke come out of the exhaust , ? which would show fuel is getting thru , full throttle

i'd loosen all three injector pipes ,( 2 full turns no need to remove) at the top , injector end , spin it over, if it squirts out of them all , pulsing diesel then fuel is there
b t w if its bubbling then air still in system , keep cranking
then poss injectors are at foult ( but all three failing at the same time ?un lightly ) dirty fuel shouldn't (shouldn't lol ) ever be able to reach injectors but i guess it would soon block them if it did .

easy to test a injector ( a very crude methed i know ) once removed just re fit it to the high pressure pipe , tighten it pionting some were safe ,(not youre face and wear goggles) spin engine , watch the spray . be very careful tho the very high pressure jet will punture skin ect. -- stand clear . no spray - its blocked send it away to be serviced ( send all three )
the fuel should be a very fine mist , leaving the injector tip dry , if it dribbling or a jet of fuel then its worn out
might have to crank the engine a while to purge the air .
prob £20 + a injector for a re build , if they are old ,prob are, then money well spent , if only to rule that out .
u can buy nozzles to fit ur self but i wouldn't .
even if only 1 injector working i think it would fire and try to run ?

gd luck m8
keep us posted

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

just looked at ur photo
u have the same pump as mine
the bleed screw are on the front above the word simms 1/2 " head , two red blobs on my photo , 2 screws i'd loosen them both 1 full turn and pump lever on lift pump un till cleen fuel , NO bubbles come out then lighten both screws , i bet she runs as u tighten them .
the lift pump / with lever is the shiny one on my photo , red circle
ur stop cable is disconected , but i guess u know that :lol: .

tom
Last edited by tom lad on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Hi ;)

Back from my garage and still nothing...

1) Cleaned the Airfilter - the oil and the above sitting one --> looks fine and clean!
2) Have bleed the fuel system - once again at the fuelfilter and also at the pump --> should be now air free!
3) Have loosen the pipes at the injectors and tried to start - fuel is coming in order 1-2-3; all three fuel sprays look the same (same amount of fuel) --> fuel is coming out of the pump
4) while cranking white smoke is coming out of the exhaust --> looks like fuel is getting in
5) Have removed the pipes from the injectors, pulled the stop cable and pressed the hand lift - no fuel came out of the pipes --> looks like the pump is ok
6) No more Idea :(

One last test would be the injectors. Have to create something to get them out. Thex're sitting quite hard and cant't pull them off...

Any one some new ideas???

Thanks so far guys, have a good one...
George

jeveriss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jeveriss »

Doesn't sound hopeful :? I can't see that all your injectors would fail at the same time, but I'm no expert. From my experience the engine starts easier when the injectors aren't atomising well.
Considering it was running one minute but not the next and you've ruled out fuel starvation and are getting white smoke, then I'd rule out air starvation next. I don't know anything about a super dexta air intake though, dextas with the pneumatic governor have an air throttle that could be faulty, but I guess super dextas have nothing like that.
You could try to feel for air flow at the intake while cranking.

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

jeah... it is hard to find out this, but it is good all other things who is,nt. (It is also throtle like Dextas on the supe D). check inlet and this too. But if you can go to Agrilines partlist for Fordson Dexta and Super D. you can look at partnumber 7168 Injection Pump...like yours, you can check if the pump is out of timing eventually by the three adjusting screews sitting in front of the timing wheel. It could bee a litle posibility that this three screews is fall to loosen or something? but the timing can also be check,ed. If you not have done this job befor? you need to seek some info about it.
If this not work out, I think you have to take of the head for the tractor, for seek moore insides engine.
mikkel

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Thanks guys, will try...

Does anyone have an idea how I can get the injectors out? They are sitting very hard inside and don't want to demaga them. Any idea?

EDIT:

And how can I turn the engine my hand? Looks like I need a special tool for it or is there any other way to do it?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have you slackened the two bleed screws and pumped the hand primer to get air out of the pump? Try cranking the engine with these two loose, then tightening them one at a time.

Your item 5 is a bit strange, fuel will not come out of the injector pipes with just the lift pump being operate.

Get a pair of pliers and pull the excess fuel button in the centre of the stop lever to make sure it is not stuck.

White smoke and no fire, does your manifold heater work?

Very last resort! SMALL whiff of ether in the manifold, see if she fires. DO NOT USE ETHER AND THE MANIFOLD HEATER othewise you may be able to ask Henry Ford himself about your problem. :D

The injectors would not all fail together, I would leave them alone. Your problem seems more like air or lack of fuel. Have you taken the feed pipe off to the lift pump and seen a good strong flow of diesel from it.

Take the two studs out of the pump side plate and remove it, make sure the rack that operates the pump plungers moves freely from side to side. This area must be very clean before you take the side plate off.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Hi Brian, as I am not a pro, just a few questions to understand it right:
Brian wrote:Get a pair of pliers and pull the excess fuel button in the centre of the stop lever to make sure it is not stuck.
What is that "excess fuel button" Do I see it on the pic of Tom more above?
Brian wrote:White smoke and no fire, does your manifold heater work?
How do I check it?

Once more - thanks guys :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi George,
Have you got yourself a Dexta Operators handbook?
I think you would find it quite useful, 64 pages + pull out lube & maintenance chart. They come up on ebay quite often for £20-£30, a collectors item too so a good investment from every aspect! Meanwhile keep asking the Q's :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi george
really want to know now why she wont run :roll:

dont know were ur based ? is it very cold ?
hows ur battery now ? does the engine spin over at a nice speed ?
does it even try to fire , cough ?
the exess fuel button is part of the pull to stop lever , red circle
u press the button in , it clicks and stops in , to help start the engine (i never need mine , its basicaly warm here )
if u pull the stop lever to the rear , seat end , ( which would cut off fuel and stop the engine ) u should see the excess button pop out . and got back to normal setting , it would , should , return to normal automaticaly when the engine runs .
buttons can stick though lack of use or rust and muck.( or a naughty farmer knocking the button in with a hammer :beer:
id give it a sniff like brian said , but plz dont start using it alot as it bad for the engines , they get addicted to it .
i think the side plate brian ref. to is below the bleeds , were it says simms .
when u work the throttle lever can u see he lever rotate at the bettom of the pump ? on the picture below the stop lever , two bolts / stops by it , i'd be trying it fully open un till it fires .
tom