gearbox noise

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Brian Cox
True Blue

gearbox noise

Post by Brian Cox »

as soon as I start the super dexta which I have restored, a sort of grinding noise appears and remains all the time engine is running. The noise remains even when I depress the clutch pedal. The noise sounds as if it is coming from the back end but how can this be possible? Maybe the gearbox. Any answers please.True blue Brian Cox.

blue32
True Blue

Re: gearbox noise

Post by blue32 »

Hi B.C. has your dexta had waterewast insides gearbox or transm..? Did you look for damage from bering,s in the old oil?
mikkkel

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Live Clutch? Is the PTO stage working? With the clutch depressed the gearbox/axle are not turning but if the PTO clutch was stuck/not working. the noise could be from bearings etc. that are still turning in the PTO drive.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

did not find any evidence of metal in the old gear oil or diff. oil. pto clutch not working, pto works, loks like a split job to asses problem.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

will have to wait, weather is rubbish and tractor is in a lean to.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

been playing with the hydraulic controls, noise changes when I shift the draft control lever, so problem must be with hydraulics.Must check once weather gets warmer. :)