Buying an early Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ncfcdexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Buying an early Dexta

Post by ncfcdexta »

A little earlier than expected I have been offered a 1958 Dexta.

Can anyone give me a run down of the main things I need to look out for? :scratchhead: How much would a Dexta in running off farm condition be worth?

I have not seen it yet, but will be on Saturday.

Thankks in advance for your help and guidance.

NCFCDexta

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Buying an early Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

See if you can get hold of Ford & Fordson Tractors The Golden Years (1917-84) ISBN 1-873098-80-4. It contains a buyer guide.

Main things to look out for are frost-damaged /cracked block usually LH side below head, the usual oil leaks particularly from back of engine/clutch area and half shafts at rear wheels. Smoke and breathing of course + hydraulics. Is it straight - any signs of a front end crash? Does it look like it's been looked after? Has it got a swinging draw bar (if not they cost upto £250)? Check the casting codes & serial no (see general section on this website front page) to make sure it's not a bitsa. If it's got a valid V5 that's worth a bit. You should get a runner for £1000+, presentable one for £1500 mark and a good one for £2000+. Don't worry if the paint work isn't gleaming; there's a lot to be said for good honest 'off-farm' condition, so long as it's straight and looked after, but beware of scrapers ie used for scraping out the cow shed, sh*t is corrosive stuff :( .

Remember there's plently out there so take your time!
Good luck
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ncfcdexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ncfcdexta »

Hiya mate
Thats really helpful and gives me food for thought. I will have a good luck round it and give it a test run etc. If it does smoke, whta might be the problem and is it something that is easily rectified?

Unfortunately, you dont often see Dextas for sale in my neck of the woods. These owld Naarfolk bhoys dont tenda sell their tractors!!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

ncfcdexta wrote:If it does smoke, whta might be the problem and is it something that is easily rectified? Unfortunately, you dont often see Dextas for sale in my neck of the woods. These owld Naarfolk bhoys dont tenda sell their tractors!!
Perhaps a greater expert than me will be along soon. :wink: But think I'm right in saying if it's blue smoke, she burning oil so maybe rings, white smoke water so maybe hd gasket, black smoke over fuelling maybe fuel pump or manifold problem. So long as block or head aren't cracked, engine can be fixed, but a bottom end rebuild can get expensive.

Seen a couple of Naarfolk Dextas on ebay lately. Depending on where you are, perhaps you could pursuade a certain Brain on here to take a look for you? :D
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

I don't know about prices over there but here a set of new tyres is as much as a whole Dexta with worn ones! Bear it in mind too.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

kiwiland dexta wrote:I don't know about prices over there but here a set of new tyres is as much as a whole Dexta with worn ones! Bear it in mind too.
+1
New rear tyres are upwards £150 ea.

ncfcdexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ncfcdexta »

Hi guys,

Went to see her today, in better overall condition than I expected. Front cowell will need replacing and no drawbar fitted. It had a set of 4 new tyres and 4,900 hours on the dial.

Started well after 20 seconds of heat but was not quite right. It seemed to rev up and down in a steady rythem, not sure how else to describe it. Would this be the result of a cylinder not firing or an issue with the governor? :scratchhead: Hydraulics all worked and easily held my substantial frame!

Thanks again,

ncfcdexta

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

ncfcdexta wrote:It seemed to rev up and down in a steady rythem, not sure how else to describe it. Would this be the result of a cylinder not firing or an issue with the governor? :scratchhead:
Commonly known as 'hunting', well known Dexta problem. Hopefully just the governor capsule needs cleaning, see:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... nts#p23036

Did you take any pics of her? :wink:

ncfcdexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ncfcdexta »

Thanks for that, makes me a little happier. Can hunting occur when the engine is idling as well as when its under load?

No piccies, although I think I may go and see her again now!

Your advice is much appreciated!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

ncfcdexta wrote:Thanks for that, makes me a little happier. Can hunting occur when the engine is idling as well as when its under load?
Yes often noticeable when idling, see here:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 00144.html

ncfcdexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ncfcdexta »

Went to see her again today, still not sure what to do. Original local number plate but no V5 or logbook. No drawbar, no top link.

Took a bit of starting but appeared original in many respects. Vendor looking for £1500. No knocking in the engine - apparently diaphram has been replaced and it still hunts quite badly. Unable to run her as in a small back garden, no fields and not road registered!

Perhaps the man himself may know where a Naarfolk Dexta is hiding?!

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

I know where theres a nice 1960 non-livedrive, tucked up nice and warm in a garage. nnww,
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The "hunting" is no problem.

Cowl .. £250.00. Ferguson style draw bar on linkage arms .. £50.00, Manifold heater and fuel tap .. £120.00 (if needed), the four new tyres are worth around £400.00.

From the fact that you have not run away screaming she does not sound too bad for a 1958 at that price. :yikes: :run:

But really to be certain we need a picture or two.

Did you check for lift in the steering box or play in the steering? Front axle spindles or pin wear?

Will he bargain?

PM me, if you like with details. How local is it?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian