Throttle Lever operating Wrong Direction.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Wee59dexta
True Blue

Throttle Lever operating Wrong Direction.

Post by Wee59dexta »

Hey guys. Pleased to inform you that my Dexta started tonight for the first time in 3 years! Coughed up a lot of black smoke but i got her going! Thanks for all your help. One more thing however. my throttle lever operates the opposite direction. I have to push it anti clockwise to open the full throttle. I cant think why this is so. I checked the friction assembly on the air breather and where the throttle rod joins the friction assembley, the rounded edge is in the 'up' position.

Just find this weird and confusing. Anyone any experience of this?

Thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Throttle Lever operating Wrong Direction.

Post by Bensdexta »

Suggest you check out your linkage and see if it conforms with that shown in the parts list (downloadable from fordson-dexta.de) page 114.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Thanks for replying Ben. The linkage again is original. it was however disembled for painting and removal of the oil bath. if the linkage is joined back to front for example, would this have an opposite affect?

thanks.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The cranks or levers at the end of the spindle which passes through the air filter bracket should be 180 degrees apart. At minimum throttle the outboard lever should be facing down whilst the inboard lever should be facing up.

Gerald

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Gerald,

Thanks for your reply. I checked today and they are as you said. This is a funny old one, lol. Maybe i'll just live with it!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You really need to get it set correctly IMHO. It could be a safety issue if someone else were to drive your tractor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I have not been out to the shed to see if its possible but I wonder if the shaft going down through the tank has been installed 180 degrees out before the throttle lever was fitted?
Peter

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

pjjms wrote:I have not been out to the shed to see if its possible but I wonder if the shaft going down through the tank has been installed 180 degrees out before the throttle lever was fitted?
Don't think it's physically possible as the vertical throttle rod is pretty close to the steering column. My money's on Gerald's suggestion^.
Diag below courtesy of Gerald:

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Thanks guys for all your help! I really appreciate this. However, my throttle linkage is exactly the same as the diagram, I will try and get pics up as soon as i've time. This is beyond my brains, i've been staring at it for ages, drawing diagrams etc. Can anyone with a good sense of geometry and brains answer this question.... If the horizontal throttle linkage which connects the vetricle shaft from the steering column to the air cleaner assembley is fitted the WRONG way around, could this have the negative push/pull effect on the throttle lever?

Thanks again learned friends!

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Does your Dexta have a pneumatic or mechanical governor? Looking at the parts list the drawing above is correct for a pneumatic governor. If its mechanical then both arms should be pointing down.

Peter

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Just a point of interest, are the linkages for the dexta and the super dexta the same?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Just a point of interest, are the linkages for the dexta and the super dexta the same?
No as pjms has pointed out, linkage is different for pneumatic and mechanical fuel pump governors - see parts list.

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I think the super dexta had the mechanical governor, but did the change to this happen before the super dexta?

Has the throttle butterfly been apart?

Peter

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dextas changed to the Simms Minimec pump in April 1962 along with the introduction of the Super Dexta.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Thanks for your interest and replys gents. Mine is the pneumatic governer, a 1959 standard Dexta. I bought the air cleaner second hand from a breaker the friction assembley is as per the diagram. Also it is my understanding that the super dexta does not require the friction assembley on the air cleaner.

The throttle lever operating the correct way before restoration and no, the butterfly has never been removed.

Thanks again!!!

This tractor is going to break me, one problem after another!

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Here are some pics...........

Throttle in 'Closed' position

linkage akin steering column

Linkage at friction assembley, next to battery, in upright position.

Linkage at butterfly. Note where i've marked F for 'Full throttle' and T for 'Ticking Over' lol

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Now that's really confusing!! :?: It's appears to be hooked up just like mine. Just so we understand you right, when you pull back towards you it goes to idle, and when you push it forward it gives it fuel? :scratchhead: :scratchhead: I hope some of these experts here can help you figure it out, because it should work like you have it hooked up.
I definitely agree with Brian on this one, you need it to work correctly to keep someone from getting hurt.
What would happen if you unhooked the linkage where it comes down through the fuel tank and operate it manually, this would be one way to try and eliminate each piece, one at a time. Just a thought, it would be worth a try.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

I went and had a lokk at one of my old engines with pneumatic regulators. my conclution is that your handle at the butterfly should be pointing upwards instead of down.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

dexta roadless wrote:I went and had a lokk at one of my old engines with pneumatic regulators. my conclution is that your handle at the butterfly should be pointing upwards instead of down.
+1 :wink:

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I agree. The parts book shows the lever on the butterfly pointing up. I would bet that butterfly has been apart in the distant past. And yes, I think Brian is right that it should be made safe.

Peter

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Hi Wee59dexta, yes I thyink you have to dismantle the throtlehouse and put the link upside...has never seen it like this. Image

blue32

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

After having compared the arrangement on my 1958 Dexta. I can confirm what has been said in the previous posts, that the lever on the throttle butterfly is 180 degrees out.

Gerald

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Good eye there Ben! :clap:
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Good eye there Ben!
Not me! Good eye Dexta Roadless! :clap:

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Just a pleasure to help a little back. I think it is quite amazing that we are all chearing the same interest in the same little tractor that was prodused more than half a century ago, and we come from every odd corner of our planet. What drives us? Or is it just a fantastic little machin that we want to preserve? Anyway I feel quit connected to all of you in here
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi