Auxillary valve leak

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
hiking bear
True Blue

Auxillary valve leak

Post by hiking bear »

Ive just started my dexta which has not been run for 2 years. Whilst running ive noticed oil leaking from the auxillary control valve. Its coming from the hole immediatly behind the control valve. Its a hole with what looks like a roll pin in it. Ive looked it up in the parts manual, its on fig 10 of the manual and is numbered item 10 and 11, namely a Retainer Oil Passage and Seal Oil Passage. Can anyone tell me why this has started leaking,( it wasnt before being stored) and the remedy etc/ Many Thanks... Oh and by the way it fired up first time without heat after 2 years.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Brian Cox
True Blue

Re: Auxillary valve leak

Post by Brian Cox »

I have the same problem, hope you get the answer

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Drive out pin, remove plug and fit new "O" rings. You may need to drill and tap the plug to get a small screw into it to give you purchase to lever with a screw driver.

We always kept a number of small ball bearings that we used to feed down the galleries and lever against to pop the plugs out, when we were servicing them.

"O" rings perish after many years and give these problems.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Thanks Brian for your advice. Would it be best to remove the unit or to do it in situ? Do you know if the plugs are available still and who does them? Many Thanks for your help.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Best to take it off and on the bench.

You should not need any plugs, they do not wear out. You only drill into the plug far enough to get a few threads for the screw/bolt to get a grip, it does not take a lot of force to remove them. The plug is about 15mm deep so you will not need to drill through it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

michael dyer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by michael dyer »

Hi

I also have exactly the same problem as well as a leak from the hydraulic pump flange (seperate post in July 2012). Thishydraulic pump flange has been nearly sorted; renewed thanks to those that replied.

Back to this post;
I am slighty confused as the down loaded manual I have the parts are shown on page 3 figure FO563; I have a 1958 Dexta. The part numbers are 48 (selector valve spool) 49 Detent assembly; are we talking about the samer parts ?

My main question is what size are the o rings that need replacing; I have a box with many various imperial sizes; will that do or is there a special Fordson/Dexta size ?

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

just like to chip in here as i had the sme problem tried useing the correct hyd o rings which
kept leaking eventualy i tried as a last resort a 15mm o ring from a plumbing fitting which
is slightly thicker than the hyd ring up untill now a year and a half is stil holding good ,
ring came out of a grey plastic pipe fitting , although made for water is holding good :idea:
sky blue