dexta injection pump, starter

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

dexta injection pump, starter

Post by terry274 »

I am thinking of buying a 1964 Fordson Dexta with a 3 cyl diesel engine. I don't yet know which fuel injection pump this tractor has. The owner states that it may have a fuel problem. It also needs a starter. I have asked him some questions but he has not yet replied. Are parts for this tractor readily available in the US? How many, if any, parts are interchangeable with a Ford 2000? If the engine is in good condition will it start ok in cold (30 degree) weather, or will some type of heater be needed?
Any suggestions on what to look for or consider about this tractor are welcome
Thanks,
Terry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Don't know about how easily it is to get parts over there, others may be able to help. Starting wise, she has a heater fitted and a fuel primer that puts diesel onto the element. If used correctly and if the engine is in reasonable condition she should start OK. Beware if the owner has been using ether as that is a cause of major engine damage to rings and pistons on these engines.

Pump on a 1964 should be a Simms Minimec. These are pretty trouble free but need oil in the governer housing. This should be changed every 200 hrs. Do not worry if it looks like diesel as fuel is allowed to enter the governer as well. You also have a cold start button on the fuel pump on the Minimec pump.

It is certainly a good powerful handy little tractor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Hi Terry,
Parts aren't too hard to find, depending on what you need. Your Case New Holland dealer can still get you some of them and www.bareco.com has a lot of them. You can sometimes find them on eBay and Craigslist or just type Dexta in to your favorite search engine.
The first Ford 2000's were Dextas. I know absolutely nothing about the later ones, so I don't know if parts are interchageable or not.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Problem is Ford imported the Dexta to the US badged as a 2000 then started the '000nd series which was a completely new tractor.

Nothing on that later series 2000 is the same as the original Dexta although Ford badged the later tractor as a 2000 Dexta. Confusing is it not?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian