Need Some I.D.Help

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
PghBill
True Blue

Need Some I.D.Help

Post by PghBill »

Decided to tear into my Super Dexta's engine and see if I can get this baby purring again. Here's what I found so far. It appears by all the numbers I can find that I have a Super Dexta built in May 1962. BUT
When I measure the cylinder diameter it comes out 3.5 in. As far as I can determine the 152 is supposed to be 3.6 in. I've been trying to identify the engine by the number on the block - 2CKN1(next number is weak, looks like 8 or 6)72 so it's either 2CKN1672 or 2CKN1872. Can anyone here help me solve this mystery. It has a pneumatic governor.
I've ordered a new complete head. (the valve seats are completely shot) As far as I can determine, both the 144 & 152 used the same head only the gasket was different. Sent out the injectors to get rebuilt . Now in the process of removing the pistons to check the crank, bearings, true cylinder bore and address the pistons and rings.
Looks like this engine might have bee replaced at some point.
Any input would be appreciated

Lesfen
True Blue

Re: Need Some I.D.Help

Post by Lesfen »

Hi,

A May/62 Dexta or Super Dexta should have originally had the mechanical governor.

Super Dexta engines should have a engine serial number starting with 16.....
(stamped into a flat machined area on the upper front of the engine block... above the injection pump.)

Dexta engine serial numbers will begin with 14.... or 15....
The engine date code may also help. (cast between and just below frost plugs on same side)

You might need to know which engine and injection pump to have the injectors set correctly.

Possibly the engine was switched out or...injection pump and linkages.

Hope this helps,
Les

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Les,
Upon further investigation: Engine casting H131(Sept.13 1961? )
Engine 1492563 (144 ?)
Tractor Ser# 09B711743 (1962? )
Looks like the engine has been replaced.
Thanks for the reply,
Bill

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Your eng no checks out with its Sep '61 cast code, so yes engine, which is for a standard Dexta (144), has been replaced.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

To add to the above, no Super Dextas had vacuum governors, in theory, so I would agree with the replies.

However, in the land of all things strange, Australia, I was shown a Super Dexta that had been on the same farm since new and had not been touched, it had a vaccum governor. :scratchhead: The owner was adamant that it came from the factory like that. Piston and bore size were the 152 engine.

Did not get the casting codes but I will next time I see it.

Many years ago I got into a heated discussion with a chap in the US who was also adamant he had a Super Dexta with a vacuum governor that he bought new from his dealer.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian