Crankshaft Rope Seal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
johnhutch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Crankshaft Rope Seal

Post by johnhutch »

Hi there,

I've just fitted the rear crankshaft rope seal and crankshaft into my Super Dexta engine. The crank seems a little stiff to turn and i am sure this is down to the rope seal, however I'm pretty sure I have fitted it correctly.

The crankshaft can be turned by had but takes a fair bit of force, is this normal? Roughly what amount of force should be needed to turn the crank?

Cheers
John

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Re: Crankshaft Rope Seal

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Yes, if you can turn it by hand it would be quite ok, thats provided the crank turned freely by hand before you fitted the seal. Allways best aswell to give the ropes a little soak in oil . Jim.
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

johnhutch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by johnhutch »

Ah right thanks, yeah it did. I soaked the ropes in oil for a few hours before hand and fitted them okay, i just wasn't sure how free the crank should be, i guess I've fitted them okay though. Thanks again :)

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Hi John, I also usually do like you did, but I also after some houres do take it appart again and soak it again befor assembling. (aspecially if I am worry of "to heavy fork" for turning...)
But it is also a tip for they who are taking out the crank and all bearing,s...not use oil on "backside of bearings". Do dry off all backsides (there nothing moves) use oil only on movable surfaces when asembling. This is aspecially for Main bearings and rod bearings.

blue32

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

As has been said, always oil the seal and bearing surfaces as you assemble.

This idea works too especially on engines that are not going to be running very soon after assembly, I now always use a smear of Moly. grease on seals and bearing surfaces. Oil can dry out if the engine is not run, leaving the bearings dry.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

johnhutch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by johnhutch »

Thanks for the advice guys, I've given the seal and bearings a good dose of oil and assembled the crank and pistons and everything seems to be turning okay!

John