Generator

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Stefan
True Blue

Generator

Post by Stefan »

Chaps,

today I gave my Dexta a test run and I noticed that the generator lamp still burns when the engine is at low idle. If I rev up the engine, the lamp dies. Hmm, during overhaul I inspected everything and put a new armature, new bushings and brushes. Bevore I started her, I have checked the polarity to get sure not to burn the wiring.

Could it be, that new brushes needs time to run-in?

Regards Stefan

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Stefan, that is the normal behavior...indicates the generator is charging correctly ......

One lead of the lamp is wired to 'battery' - usually in the harness at a switch or main junction - other lead is wired to the output of the generator (or alternator) . Any difference in voltage between the two makes the lamp light and could indicate under or overcharge condition. When the lamp is out, the two are balanced and everything is functioning normally.

Generators typically undercharge at low rpm's ...(making the lamp light)....one of the reasons they fell out of favor, along with the relative simplicity of the alternator.

Regards

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

I thought the lamp has to be "Off" as soon as the engine runs.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Stefan,

As long as the light goes out when the revs rise that is working correctly.
You youngsters are only used to alternators where the red light disappears as soon as you start the engine :lol:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian