Grill Fixing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
marcusgs
True Blue

Grill Fixing

Post by marcusgs »

Hi. Does anyone have any pictures of how the grill fixings fix?

I have bought some new ones and cannot figure out how they go!

Thanks,
Mark

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Re: Grill Fixing

Post by justjamiefarming »

If you have bought them from A******e as I did. you will have probably found that the spring retainers have no holes to fasten them to the cowl. I drilled mine to fit.

I also found that the Chrome knob on the fixing became threadbound before tightening up on the front grille itself, so I just ran the thread all the way to the bottom of the threaded part of the fixing.
It was like that when I found it.... & I wish I had left it alone!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Can anyone recommend a grill fixing kit that works?

Just tried my Aline fixing kit and find the 'prongs' that go through the grills are longer than the original by at least 1/4". Hence it doesn't snap the grill up tight - just flops around.

Tried bending the female spring clip (which has no attachment holes :( ) to snug up the screen - bad idea it snapped. :cry:

So all said not a roaring success - suggestions appreciated!
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed May 23, 2012 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Post by justjamiefarming »

Bensdexta wrote:Can anyone recommend a grill fixing kit that works?

Just tried my Aline fixing kit and find the 'prongs' that go through the grills is longer than the original by at least 1/4". Hence it doesn't snap the grill up tight - just flops around.

Tried bending the female spring clip (which has no attachment holes :( ) to snug up the screen - bad idea it snapped. :cry:

Suggest sending the kit back and asking for one that works.
It was like that when I found it.... & I wish I had left it alone!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Watching this thread with interest as its fast approaching 'spraying season' for me and this includes me newly aquired Dexta cowl (an original one with pretty much no rot!) which needs grills and the associated fixings.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Well I think we can conclude that it's best not to get the grill retainers from Ag******!

I have seen some that look ok on eBay, but have not bought them so don't know if they work ok or not
Mark

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I was considering these from Silver Fox:

Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi Mark.

They would be the ones I would go for if I was to buy again, I will have to make do and bodge (I mean skillfully engineer) the bodge that I have bought...

Mark
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

marcusgs wrote:They would be the ones I would go for if I was to buy again, I will have to make do and bodge (I mean skillfully engineer) the bodge that I have bought...
Marcus,
Why not get your ££ back and get the Silver F ones? :wink:

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi Ben.

If I had just bought them, I would do, however I bought them over a year ago, so might be pushing my luck a bit now :(
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

marcusgs wrote:If I had just bought them, I would do, however I bought them over a year ago, so might be pushing my luck a bit now :(
I bought mine three years ago and have asked for my money back!
I've bought £100's of stuff from them, so hope I am a valued customer...we will see! :wink:

However, I suspect that the buttons sold eg by Silver Fox see pic ^ are probably the same as the Aline ones, but the clip is different. Malcolm H sells the clips for £1.50, which look as if they might work, so I'm tempted to try one.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Bensdexta wrote:Can anyone recommend a grill fixing kit that works?

Just tried my Aline fixing kit and find the 'prongs' that go through the grills are longer than the original by at least 1/4". Hence it doesn't snap the grill up tight - just flops around.

Hi Guys
I just happened to look through the Dexter forum I'm a pure Major guy but not much happening on that board today :( and found your posts.
I was thinking that if the nose on the peg is too long why not make a spacer from the right thickness steel to go between the cowl lug and the clip to move that closer to the rad and take the slack that way. it would need 2 holes for mounting and one for the peg to go through. i'm thinking that unless a Guy took the grills out and actually looked you would not see it either :)
I"m kinda betting that most of these repro crap parts come from the same place and this will be a common thing too unless anybody knows different :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

super6954 wrote:I was thinking that if the nose on the peg is too long why not make a spacer from the right thickness steel to go between the cowl lug and the clip to move that closer to the rad and take the slack that way. it would need 2 holes for mounting and one for the peg to go through. i'm thinking that unless a Guy took the grills out and actually looked you would not see it either :)
Robert, good suggestion, but the neck of the peg is way too long ~3/4". Also the clips are rubbish.

But it might work with the other clips, see my post ^

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Ben
ok In the post I Read it said at least a 1/4 not 3/4 so yeah that's a bit much to space :cry: . well I hope you find something that works :) , and now I read this im kinda concerned about buying repros for my Major as it's the same clips I think.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Bensdexta wrote:
super6954 wrote:I was thinking that if the nose on the peg is too long why not make a spacer from the right thickness steel to go between the cowl lug and the clip to move that closer to the rad and take the slack that way. it would need 2 holes for mounting and one for the peg to go through. i'm thinking that unless a Guy took the grills out and actually looked you would not see it either :)
Robert, good suggestion, but the neck of the peg is way too long ~3/4". Also the clips are rubbish.

But it might work with the other clips, see my post ^

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I am told that the clip without mounting holes is for a Ford rather than for a Fordson. But that the studs are the same, so all we need to do is get some Fordson clips (see below) from the likes of Malcolm Hipperson (£1.50ea), Dunlop or Silver Fox etc. Image
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Just for the record, Agriline kindly sent me 2 correct spring clips with 2 mounting holes as in the above pic^, free gratis three years after I bought the incorrect ones. Comparing with my original clips, I can confirm that the one ^ is identical. Good service by Agriline.

There is still a problem with the stud see above ^ being too long. I did manage to modify one ^, with a file to give it a new neck. However fortunately I managed to find both my original studs, see earlier photo, so my grills are now properly fixed. :)

So my advice is get the clips as ^, with the two mounting holes. Ideally reuse your original studs. Or if you must get new studs, all vendors seem to sell the same ones that are too long, so be prepared to file a new neck in them, or mount the clips on a spacer. :wink:

gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gordon5a »

i too had that problem with the clips, i fixed the grill with a small self tapper screw and just used the chrome clips for show

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

I e-mailed Agriline two weeks ago, and haven't even had a reply....
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

marcusgs wrote:I e-mailed Agriline two weeks ago, and haven't even had a reply....
You have pm