plough for a dexta.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

plough for a dexta.

Post by john.n »

What is the largest plough a dexta can handle? been offered a 3 furrow ransoms plough on cat 2 pins.
the plough has been converted to 4 furrows set at 14" at the moment. and also has a depth wheel. was planning to convert back to 3 furrows at 12" would a dexta handle this without extra wheel weights?
regards,
John

60dexta
True Blue

Re: plough for a dexta.

Post by 60dexta »

I don't know what a dexta will take. It is a question I also am wanting to find out. I am looking for a Ransomes TS 82 reversible two furrow plough for my dexta.

Rob

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

You will not lift more than a two furrow reversible on a Dexta....

The machine is not heavy enough and the lift not powerful enough.

Mark
Mark

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

is 3 furrows at 12" reasonable or will it require hude amounts of weights?
been offered a ransoms plough wondered if a dexta would pull it. think it might be a TS59?
regards,
John

llanfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by llanfair »

Hi,
There are lots of difference answers to this question, I will say that a standard Dexta without weights can only cope with a 2frw plough.
It is reasanable to expect it to plough at 11"W x4"D in stubble ground.
LLANFAIR.
Last edited by llanfair on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

what allows a grey fergie to pull a 3 furrow plough and a dexta only 2 furrows. or is it all down to conditions?
regards,
John

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

60dexta wrote:I don't know what a dexta will take. It is a question I also am wanting to find out. I am looking for a Ransomes TS 82 reversible two furrow plough for my dexta.

Rob
Maybe I go for a non reversible.
Rob

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
if it is TS 59 then id say go for it , as its easy to swap to a 2 f if ur struggling , each leg for the furrow is held on with 3 bolts so not a big job to alter .

i recently bought a TS 59 3 f for my s dexta , not rebuilt yet but it will be a 2 f 12" when the bits come back from blasting. im sure the sdexta would pull the 3 f but i want it on 2

word of warning thou ... u can prob buy any lost item to make it complete , but some bits are very expensive . poss. y complete shiney ploughs seem so expensive ?
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

mould boards were thin at the base, is it worth bothering? roughly how much are new mould boards?
Regards,
John

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi.

You may well be able to pull/lift a three furrow conventional plough, but lifting a reversible, in my opinion, ain't gonna happen :D
Mark

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

re. boards being wearing thin at back edge , how much ploughing r u planning on doing , ? prob years of life left in them , or dozens of acres
the odd fun day and ploughing match wont wear them much unless ur on megga stoney / flint land .
id be more bothered about how rusty / pitted they are , deep pitts do take some shineing up , i think some times they never will come out ?

August
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by August »

llanfair wrote:Hi,
There are lots of difference answers to this question, I will say that a standard Dexta without weights can only cope with a 2frw plough.
It is reasanable to expect it to plough at 11"W x4"D in stubble ground.
LLANFAIR.
I agree! A 2 frw plough for a standard Dexta is suitable. If a ground is heavy the power for 3 frw plough is too low. Maybe Super Dexta can pull a 3 frw plough in light ground.
Fordson Super Major, 1963
Ford Consul, 1960

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone can expain what the skimmers and discs do?

Edit: I found it looks like the skimmers scoop off the stubble / weeds etc and make sure they get buried.

Found this video too... http://youtu.be/T4qHL4YXsM0
I think I might need to start smoking as it looks like that is a vital part of things :D

Rob

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

what a cool film :clap:

yes the skimmers job is to plough a small furrow which falls in to the bottom of the open furrow bottom , so that the main mould board then buries that as it turns the propper furrow.
if u watch them work propperly then all becomes clear :lol:
skimms set about 1 third of full depth , plough 6" , skims set 2" ish

the disc or knife , could be either but disc is best , slice the furrow width verticaly to help keep neat work .
classic / propper ploughs wont work with out them , both needed .
modern ploughs often only have the last furrow with a disc , but they wil all have the skim.
people that know more than me could write huge articles on this subject :beer:

if u were shown them in the field would be far easyer to explain.

either one set wrongly will upset things
but yes ur right the skims basic job is to help bury trash / surface rubbish.

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

This is what a Dexta can handle with ease...

It stops when the nose goes up and not the plough or when she stalles with the plough in the soil....
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

That is interesting.
I was looking at getting a Ransomes TS82. What have you got there?
Rob

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

This is not mine and if it is about brands .... euh :oops: no idea

I just have a 1 furrow (brand .. euh :oops: )
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tom has written a good explanation here. The only thing I would disagree with is the depth setting of the skimmers. Skimmers should only take off the surface weed/rubbish so should only be set around 1/2" deep for any depth of furrow, 1" at maximum.

In very dry conditions knives are better than disc coulters as the discs act as wheels and lift the plough out of the ground.

TS82 is way to big for a Dexta, you would need assister rams and many front end weights. An 82 makes my 65 hp Nuffy talk at times and even with weights, I have to use the brakes to steer. We did have one customer who set up a Super Dexta to pull a TS82 with the rams and weights. He had to put the front wheels in the furrow every time to get the clearance to turn it over.

The reversible ploughs for the Dexta are TS 1015 Single furrow, deep digger, hydraulic turnover so needs DAR valve. I have one of these and use it behind Dotty.

The other is TS 1016 two furrow, general purpose with YL bodies, FRDCR bodies and DMD bodies. Again you would need a DAR valve as it is also hydraulic turnover.

There are other makes of plough out there but I do not have information on them.

Dotty also handles 2 - 12" furrows at 8" to 10" deep with ease, both in the heavier, red soil of Herefordshire and the medium and light land here in Norfolk. I use the PM plough with EPIC bodies designed for the E27N and New Major which is a perfect combination, I did fit Agriline lift arms though to enable me to use all my implements.

I do not have wheel weights or ballast and she goes well but I can see times when they might be useful. If I cannot get along by just using the Draft Control either the plough/lift is not set right or conditions are too bad. Dotty has no dif lock and worn tyres too.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

is jos 's 2 f reversible a ransomes ? in the photo looks abit like my SKH plough ? mine is a orange ish colour manual trip / turnover . mine is heavy on my MF 65 , never tried it on my s dexta yet but i plan to .
dont honestly think it will lift it , but i bet she'll pull it ok , the ploughs a bit buried in a tractor shed at the mo. cant test it .

the look of the top link area on my dexta looks to week to me for silly big implaments like my SKH .

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

quick question , what gear do u plough in ? what is to fast with a plough in the ground ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I use second or first high. Too fast is when the skimmer throws the skimmed material too high up the turned furrow so that it is only lightly covered with soil. I like to see the skimmer putting the skimmed material right at the bottom of the furrow, that is why I like the SN skimmers and SCN bodies on my TS82.

If you use UCN bodies they would work well up to 4 mph.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Brian wrote:Tom has written a good explanation here. The only thing I would disagree with is the depth setting of the skimmers. Skimmers should only take off the surface weed/rubbish so should only be set around 1/2" deep for any depth of furrow, 1" at maximum.

In very dry conditions knives are better than disc coulters as the discs act as wheels and lift the plough out of the ground.

TS82 is way to big for a Dexta, you would need assister rams and many front end weights. An 82 makes my 65 hp Nuffy talk at times and even with weights, I have to use the brakes to steer. We did have one customer who set up a Super Dexta to pull a TS82 with the rams and weights. He had to put the front wheels in the furrow every time to get the clearance to turn it over.

The reversible ploughs for the Dexta are TS 1015 Single furrow, deep digger, hydraulic turnover so needs DAR valve. I have one of these and use it behind Dotty.

The other is TS 1016 two furrow, general purpose with YL bodies, FRDCR bodies and DMD bodies. Again you would need a DAR valve as it is also hydraulic turnover.

There are other makes of plough out there but I do not have information on them.

Dotty also handles 2 - 12" furrows at 8" to 10" deep with ease, both in the heavier, red soil of Herefordshire and the medium and light land here in Norfolk. I use the PM plough with EPIC bodies designed for the E27N and New Major which is a perfect combination, I did fit Agriline lift arms though to enable me to use all my implements.

I do not have wheel weights or ballast and she goes well but I can see times when they might be useful. If I cannot get along by just using the Draft Control either the plough/lift is not set right or conditions are too bad. Dotty has no dif lock and worn tyres too.
That is a good reply..
It looks like I should just get a single or two furrow non-reversible.
I think a bigger single furrow plough would give me more options with ploughing deeper if I found I needed to.
Rob

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

i've mainly used 1 st , 2 nd low but had tried 1 st hi , (3 rd gear ? ) but felt it was a bit quick , un temp was riseing so i dropped back to 2 nd :lol:
pulling my david brown 2 f 12 " about 6 " ish deep , also the depth was becoming more erratic as i speeded up , so desided i was gonna brake some thing . prob if i had a depth wheel on that plough i'd got away with the speed ,
soil was still damp / heavy thou at the bottom .

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Hi Brian,
Just a question..
Does the plough need holding in position left / right with the chains on the lift arms or is it a case that once the plough is set up the boards force the plough across against the landslide or wheel in the ground so there is very little or no left/right force on the chains?

Rob

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If the plough is set correctly the check chains should be slack and the centre link in line with the centre of the tractor, The landslides should just exert a little pressure on the furrow wall and the heel iron on the rear landslide should just mark the furrow bottom.

Perfection says the angle of the furrow wall and the bottom of the furrow should be 90 degrees but who is perfect! :D The floor of the furrow should be cut rather than "lifted" which would indicate a short top link which will wear the plough points.
Brian