combustion caps leaking

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
DEXTAS
True Blue

combustion caps leaking

Post by DEXTAS »

how can i stop the three caps on the head to stop blowing out bubbles changed the caps and gaskets and the heads not worn helppp :curse:

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Re: combustion caps leaking

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

If you still have the Copper rings, throw the gaskets away and refit the rings.
That was what i did, but i have wondered why on fitting new gaskets they leaked. would fitting two gaskets make a better seal. :?:
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

DEXTAS
True Blue

Post by DEXTAS »

i have the rings yes al try it to a see and no i al ready had the the thick originol ones in an still leaking but thanks :wink:

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Hi "Dextas" your,s copper rings is best to repair this probs. (or a set of new ones ofcoarse) but if you can use your old ones, you have to heat them up until dark color appear on them. This prosess make them softer again. and when you have used it once, they are become hard again.
- Do clean the surfaces as best you can, have good quality on the screews. - Good luck.

Blue32

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

If the caps were originally fitted with a copper ring gasket, you will probably find that the caps have become distorted in way of the bolt holes. This can be checked by placing a straight edge across the back of the caps.

When refitting the caps with a full face gasket a full face seal is not obtained due to the distortion, using two gaskets will not solve the problem. If you still have the original ring gaskets your best bet is to reuse them. The other alternative is to carefully file the caps in way of the holes to correct the distortion, which can be checked by fitting the caps to the head and checking the gap with feeler gauges.

I wrote an article on annealing copper for the home page. Copper tends to work harden over time and requires to be annealed in order to soften it, this applies to copper joint rings fuel piping or any other copper components. Heat the copper with a blow lamp until it is red hot then quench it in water or allow it to cool in air, in either case you will find that the copper is softer and more malleable. When bending copper pipwork you may need to anneal it several times in order to prevent it work hardening and the possibility of the pipe being damaged.

Gerald

DEXTAS
True Blue

Post by DEXTAS »

took off the caps and the studs are damaged mite havto rethread :(