New member needs timing advice

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
rmcoates01
Not Quite Blue Yet

New member needs timing advice

Post by rmcoates01 »

Been working on this stuff for 45+ years but this one has got me stumped. Just bought a Dexta with the vacuum governor not running, Been sitting for about 4 years, previous owner couldn't get it running. Got fuel to it and two of the injectors spraying ( figured it would start on two cylinders and maybe the third would catch up ) .... checking timing and noticed the flywheel timing marks are not correct (someone installed it wrong) so I found TDC and remarked the flywheel then measured the 26* before that and made a new spill mark (according to the manual 3,52 inches BTDC) and set the bottom pump mark to it ( at #1 compression stroke spill).

Shouldn't she run like that or do I need to RR the flywheel and re time the pump gear?
How many degrees can it be out and still start?
Would it be better if the timing be advanced or retarded?

She won't start. Checked the compression with an automotive gauge and it gets to 275 lbs and blows the gauge out the hole so it's got a lot more. I tried some oil in the cylinders and it will try to start but not. Even checked the spill on the pump to be sure the timing mark there is correct and the spill stops on the spill mark like it should.

john.n
True Blue

Re: New member needs timing advice

Post by john.n »

have you used the heater and primer for cold starting?
regards,
John

rmcoates01
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rmcoates01 »

john.n wrote:have you used the heater and primer for cold starting?
regards,
John
Yea .. tried that and even though I hated it .... I tried starting fluid.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

is the fuel rack seised preventing it getting enough fuel?

rmcoates01
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rmcoates01 »

Gonna try to pull it with my Long 460 as soon as I get some help .... if I could get it running for a while it might clear out and get better, right?

rmcoates01
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rmcoates01 »

john.n wrote:is the fuel rack seised preventing it getting enough fuel?

Pulled the inspection cover and the rack is working correctly ( oiled it up while I was in there) ... even checked the governor and it's ok.
I did pull the injectors and connected them to the lines and spun the engine to see them spraying .... #1 and #2 was spraying good .... #3 not.

The manual doesn't require oil in this pump like the super ... is this correct? How does it get lubricated?

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

I think you may have answered your own question with the #3 injector not spraying....

I would swap injector number 3 for number two temporarily and see if it is the injector or the pump at fault.

The course of action after that will depend upon the result from this test.

Mark
Mark

rmcoates01
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rmcoates01 »

after pulling around the Shark for about 15 minutes it started and #3 started fueling and it seem to run good but has a lot of blow by and spits oil out the blow by tube. Let it run for a few hours to see if it would clear up and it did not. Shut it off and tried to start it with the starter with no success.

I guess it's too low on compression to start on its own and will need a minimum of a ring job. Has good oil pressure ... 45 at idle at operating temp. Looks like the rear seal and something up front is leaking.

Probably gonna go ahead and break it in half and do it right. The old tractor has good tin, good brakes the lift works some so I think maybe orings and maybe piston seal will fix that.

Anyone know the best place to get an engine rebuild kit? I see on Ebay some for around $500 - $600 with pistons, liners and all. Is that about right?

And... I still don't know if the timing is correct, but it does run pretty good ... just won't start.

I appreciate all the replies from you guys. And, Happy Easter to all.