Hydraulic fitting?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Cvans
True Blue

Hydraulic fitting?

Post by Cvans »

Hello:
This is my first post on this forum. Over the last couple of weeks I have been visiting here and learning about my 1961 Dexta. Looks like a nice site and thanks for making it available.
Here in the North Central USA these tractors are not common. I find this difficult to understand as they are an excellent tractor. Pulling an 8' digger it performs very favorably compared to my Ford 850. Fuel consumption is much less though. I really like the Dexta.
Now the problem. I'm going to be using a Sickle bar mower on the Dexta so I need to hook up the hydraulics. Took the tractor today to a hydraulics shop and they were unable to match the threads on the control valve outlet to any fitting they had available. Could someone tell me what the threads are and what I need to adapt it to 1/2" NPT. I have the original owners manual and I didn't see anything in there concerning this connection.
Thanks for your help.
Chris

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Hydraulic fitting?

Post by Tubal Cain »

Try 1/2" British Standard Pipe. which is 14 threads per inch with an outside diameter of 0.825", the thread form is 55 degrees.

Gerald

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thank you for the reply. I'll check the dimensions against your information. The original plug that is in there does not appear to have tapered threads but my eyes aren't what they used to be.
Thanks again,
Chris
Chris

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Hi,
BSP are available as BSPT (taper) or just BSP (straight).
Just "BSP" is regularly quoted here for BSP threads on pipes that are often tapered.
Rob

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Now I have learned something new. I had no idea that there was a none tapered pipe thread. Sure would make the world a simpler place if everything was standardized. What seals the threads on a none tapered pipe thread? I could understand it if the fitting used a flange and o-ring.
So much to learn and so little time left. :(
Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

They have a sealing washer made of aluminum with a rubber or plastic insert. It is called a Doughty Washer. Copper washers will also work.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Brian wrote:They have a sealing washer made of aluminum with a rubber or plastic insert. It is called a Doughty Washer. Copper washers will also work.
Search the web for 'Dowty Bonded Seal' and you will find them.

Rob

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Gerald's specifications were spot on. British nation pipe thread. If trying to locate that thread is a problem on the side of the pond then I'm going to put the plug in my lathe and bore a hole through it and thread it for american pipe thread. Thanks to you guys I at least know what I'm dealing with. :D
I will do a search as suggested and see what turns up.
Thanks again for your help!!!!!
Chris

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Took the fitting out and put it in the lathe. Bore it for 3/8th NPT. and tapped it. Worked like a champ. Raises and lowers the sickle bar mower
plenty fast enough. :P Cheap cure for a rather unusual problem.
Chris

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

hi glad to see you got it sorted, just a quetion on the return to back end,
can a quick release fitting be used for returning or must the fitting be stright through,
if you get my meaning, by quick release i mean the same as the feed from tractor
Gerry

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Gerry
I'll post a picture of my Dexta Return feed to the back axle via a modified filler cap.
Regards
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

That will be great look forward to the pictures

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

I looking forward to those photos also. I'm just running one hose to the cylinder so a return isn't needed. Raises and lowers just fine.
Chris

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Here is a pic of my Hydraulic return to the back axle filler cap.
My mate drilled and threaded a cap to take a hydraulic thread and I fitted the T piece etc.
The T piece has a loose cap on it to allow the axle to breathe when the oil level changes.
Image.

Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

thats just what i needed , so the quick release fitting would do , for all return pipe types
with the back ditcher the return hose is about 1inch thick ,there was no fitting on it ,probley removed
by last owner :roll: iLL get mine tapped up and see how it goes , thanks for the pictures Gerry
as the saying goes they do tell a thousand words ,

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Yes, thanks for the photo. Makes for a nice looking installation.
Chris

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

cheers!
Sorry about the rusty bits but I do use it, mainly driving a Ferguson Cordwood saw.
The black conduit in the background carries the lighting cable for my RH light unit with brake and indicators.
The light blue bit is a tywrap which carries my old plough spanner (its got a good tapered end) so its accessible when trying to hitch up an implement on the 3ph.
Just bought an abandoned Super Dexta off Ebay so thats my summer spare time used up!
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Sorry about the rusty bits but I do use it
Mine is not pretty yet either but she has a heart of gold and does everything I ask of her. :thumbs:
Nice to hear you got another Dexta. To tell the truth if I didn't already have a Ford 850 with a loader I think I would be looking for another one myself.
Chris