Bought a Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brownsmule
True Blue

Bought a Dexta

Post by brownsmule »

I know, buy the manuals (I will) In the present time, I would like to give the ole girl a good service before I put her to work. Anyone have the part numbers for filters and things I should check that are unique to the Dexta? Going to pick her up next week and would like to get a head start on service parts etc. 1961 model by serial #.
Thanks Brownsmule in NC, USA

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Lots of manuals on the main site, including the parts list. No problem. By the way, we want to see pictures of your new Dexta :) !

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Oil filter FLEETGUARD LF596 or MANN H820/3x. Fuel filter FLEETGUARD FF144 or MANN P810x. Your parts dealer should be able to cross the numbers.

Regards Stefan

WayneB
True Blue

FNH

Post by WayneB »

I have bought Dexta and Super Dexta parts on eBay, from Walts Tractor Parts, from Yesterday's tractor parts, and so many other sources but...
seriously, after you factor shipping...
Go to your Ford New Holland dealer for filters and belts if it is on your commute or close. But beyond simple parts, having lived in NC and now in VA, several of my FNH dealers can pretend they cannot find Dexta parts. One time in NC I needed a transmission input seal and got dealer pretend can find on screen (Dexta dumb) and Mark on this site gave me his dealers # and I got the part shipped promptly. I have even used a Massey Ferguson dealer successfully for Dexta parts. I now have a local dealer who remembers Dexta and also respects them and I can get almost anything and he has the same computer most other USA FNH dealers use. He tries.
In recent years, internet interest in Dexta made parts availabilty better in USA. Good news is it did not raise the resell price. And the reason I say that is, satisfied Dexta owners don't sell them and are looking for another.
Must mention, that nowhere have I found proofmeter cheaper than eBay. Many years ago, I put a MF Proofmeter in one Dexta, and it's still there, and I bought two more for my other Dextas off eBay, as well hose kits and other parts. Dealer cannot compete in price.
Recommend --someway-- you find a parts manual and a maintenance manual. Look up what you need before you go to the dealer or look on-line. Many times I type in the part number online and am just amaze at how many options I find.

Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Case / New Holland (north america) also has the parts lists and diagrams available online.

Try this link:

http://www.newholland.com/h4/index.asp?Reg=NA&RL=ENNA

and click on 'parts and service' ..then 'search for parts'.

I see you're in Mooresville...I'm not too far away..York county in South Carolina.....

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the board brownsmule, I call my dexta "blue mule." If you need any help with your dexta then you've come to the right place. There's a tremendous amount of tractor knowledge right here.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

Original Fordson part numbers were replaced with new numbers by Ford. Your New Holland parts man will have a way of cross referencing old numbers to new numbers on his computor. Make a big fuss of the older parts man, he will be helpfull, young kids in stores dont know nor care!!!
David

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

G'evening Dexta Owner's. Today I picked up the Dexta that I bought a few weeks ago and hauled it to it's first work site in Virginia, USA. Gave "Ole Blue" (the 1963 Studebaker truck) a good work out but he did not even break a sweat (run hot). The last 5 miles was straight up the side of a mountain with switch backs in the road; well over a 1,000 feet climb. Now for the Dexta: I did not find a SN on the flange between the clutch housing and the engine. The SN on the clutch housing was 7505 S T3 M110. The SN on the transmission was under the script 957E 7005 T4. Rear axles were D2 M13E T4 and D1 MAD T3. I'll look again for the SN on the Flange. Soooo, this should be a early Dexta in 1958? Anyway, the ole girl starts remarkably well and everything seems to work as it should. btw, it has the Live PTO option that I'm really thankful for (until it comes time to renew the parts $$$). The hour meter only shows 591 hours however it does not work and all the wear indicators show many more hours of use. She is not all beat up and appears to maybe have the original rear tires that are dry rotted but are holding up well and almost no tread left. Fairly new tires on the front. Gave it a once over with a short list of things I'll need (missing top link, drawbar, sta bars) and I already have a change of filters etc before going to work. I know; Where are the pictures? I'll take some next week and have someone post them for me. I do email and ebay, thats about it. I look forward to using this site for advice and support in the future. Thanks
Brownsmule from NC, USA

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are going to have to have another look at your numbers that you quote. Some of them do not exist (MAD and M13E). The serial number is stamped into the flange not cast. The only dating numbers that are cast are the date codes, all the other cast numbers are casting numbers and the same on every tractor (957E 7005 T4).

I would think it is newer than 1958 if it has live PTO, if we take your MAD, it could be October 8th (?) 1960. M1E is a bit more difficult as Fords did not use E in their codes, if it was F it would be October 13th 1961 which is possible. It could also be a badly formed D which would tie up with the other side.

The number on the clutch housing could be M11D which again would give October 11th 1960.

Your serial number should start with the 957E prefix but it could start with any figure from 4 upwards to 7 as the numbers for that year started at 44432. 1961 started 71921. These numbers are vertically stamped into the flange on the clutch side and you may have to clean really hard to see them.

Sounds like you live in a lovely area. Include a few scenic picture too please.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian