Hydraulics set up

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
bigmax7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulics set up

Post by bigmax7 »

I’ve removed the top and started to follow Stefan’s method of adjustment. When I adjust the turnbuckle to set the gap as pic 7 I run out of adjustment, like wise if I continue to set the rod pic 12. I think if I fit a spacer over the bush that pushes plunger lever I will be able to make adjustments. The reason for doing this is that when in position control the hydraulics only lift in the last inch of the quadrant, and some times not at all.
Can any one please advise on to adjust the linkage (allowing for wear), or is Stefan’s method ok, and then I need to know how to adjust to remove the wear in the left lever.
I have looked back over the old post and unable to find the answer.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

I can offer a few suggestions that may help....

If you can't obtain proper adjustment then something in linkage is most likely worn beyond it's useful limit.

In my experience (admittedly limited), one of the likely suspects is the pin that rides on the lift arm cam. I'm speaking of the arm that is attached to the cross shaft that goes through the top plate. It's high up in the cover , out of the oil. Both Dexta's I've took apart had this piece worn completely away. It wasn't obvious at a glance that there was even supposed to be a pin there. A look at the parts book shows the pin pressed into the lever assy. If memory serves it's 3/8 diameter and should protrude about an inch from the lever. I believe the pin is visible in Stefans pic# 12 ...

Another problem I saw in mine was the small pin pressed into the arm assy visible in pic# 13... There is a small plate with a notch that rides on this pin. Pin was broken off in mine.

And of course take a look at the condition of all the other bushings/ swivels in the linkage. Some wear is expected and can be adjusted for........if something feels like it is about to 'fall apart'...then it's suspect.

Stefan has some good pictures.....you can also look at the diagrams in the service manual and parts books for different views of the parts. Sometimes it helps to see from another angle.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The position control pin that works on the lift arm cam is possibly worn. That can upset your linkage settings. There is a step by step diagnostic and setting instruction on the Wiki on this site. Try that because they are so simple to set even I can do it!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

bigmax7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigmax7 »

Had another closer look following all your advise (Commander and Brian) and yes it is the Position control pin (stop pin page 20 Fig 31 in the manual) that runs on the Cam Lift Arm, this pin has worn away. Is this a press fit pin and does any one know the length I think its diameter is 5/16. Has any one any advise on changing the pin, do you have to strip the whole thing down to press it out?

I am thinking I will leave it for the moment, until I have done my last show in mid September, in case any thing goes wrong or I damage or find more problems that will stop me showing.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Glad you found the problem.

Parts book says it is 3/8" diameter, 1 +3/4" in length ......I carefully drove mine out with a punch and hammer, I had the whole works disassembled anyway.

I personally would be reluctant to try to drive it out while still assembled in the tractor.....very good chance of breaking or bending something else.....

I bought 'slick rod' at the local hardware and cut to length for the new piece.

Regards

bigmax7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigmax7 »

Thank you for your advice, I will carry this work out in October and will report on my efforts. Thanks again.