Water leak

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
marcusgs
True Blue

Water leak

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

I have just about finished restoring my 58' Dexta however, I am noticing that there is water coming from the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold on and also from behind the combustion chamber caps :cry:
I'm thinking here that this must be head gasket related, I have totally rebuilt this engine, new pistons, liners, shell bearings etc with a new Agriline cylinder head.
The head is torqued to the correct torque, although I did not use a gasket sealing paste, do you guys think this is the problem?
The tractor has only been run for approx 1 hour.

Your thoughts appreciated!
Mark

Noblett
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Water leak

Post by Noblett »

It could be head gasket but first make sure the combustion chamber caps are not leaking. When these don't seal properly you can get liquid bubbling from them. The replacement gaskets aren't very good I took mine off and used a bit of exhaust sealing paste to help seal them and they have been fine ever since. Worth a look. John

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The threaded holes for the manifold and combustion caps studs, are tapped into the cooling water spaces so I suspect that the leakage ios past the threads. Try removing the studs and refitting them with thread sealant.

Gerald

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Ahhhhh now I understand.

I will try thread sealant :wink:

Thanks everyone
Mark

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

If you can't get it stopped with thread sealant look for a product named Expando. It expands and seals the voids in the threads as it cures. Great stuff.
Chris