weight to front of dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
sky blue
True Blue

weight to front of dexta

Post by sky blue »

HI back up an running again thanks to board members thanks guys :beer:
i need to get a bit of weight on to front of my dexta, to keep the wheels on ground
if ihit bumpy ground, i have no wheel weights an do not think iwill be able to get these in the short term
has any one any ideas best way to get weight to front , was thinking of abox of some sort
attached to front axel but the axels need to move seperately could abox be bolted to these
or woud this do damage , sky blue

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: weight to front of dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Put a front loader on it. Will help keep the nose down and and make your tractor much more useful! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

Hi ben have thought of front end loader but i use the tractor on the road
alot and it would be better if i could just put something on that would be quick
an easy to remove when not useing the ditcher, sky blue

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

One of the cheapest and most readily available weights is rock or concrete. Many of the 2 wheel drive tractors around here had rock boxes fabricated and attached to the front of the tractors. Usually made out of something like 14ga. metal and filled with field rock. Guys would pickup rocks found in the field as they were doing field work and put them in the box on the front of the tractor. Quite often the rocks were left there the because the tractor performed better. Could be filled with concrete or a combination of both. I can't recall if this is possible on the Dexta or not.
You could also try filling your front tires with fluid. If you live in a warm climate plain water will work and adds quite a bit of weight. My rear tires are fluid fill and are extremely heavy.
Chris

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi,

We have used calcium chloride in the fronts as well the rears.
Have seen some boxes with rocks or weights in them using 2 or 4 bolts mounted to the front axle.
Many Dextas in the US seem to have Ford grill guards attached to the front axle.

Maybe a modification of something like this one:

http://asheville.craigslist.org/grd/3002224636.html

Got any photos of the ditcher?

Les

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

In Norway it was a company who fabrick,d such "front-bascet,s" so the farmer could drag it down for to put some woodenboxes on it, and then fill up with heavy stuff.
This was sold alot, and it is still very populer, concern that you can put it up and down. http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... 72/006.jpg

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

this is the picture of the ditcher Image

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

had to get the daughter to put up the pic , must threaten her into showing me how , i have got two 56lb weights
the type used in old weighing machine,s :D and with the help of two bucthers hooks have hung them around each side of
front axle, these can be easily removed, they will help keep the nose down when i am moving ditcher around
its quite stable when working this probely due to the two pads which are very heavy even on their own.
sky blue.