removing crown gear assembly

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

removing crown gear assembly

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I am busy attempting to strip down my spare rear axle with diff lock so as to clean it up and repaint. I have got as far as removing the left trumpet. What can I expect to jump out at me when I remove the right trumpet, and does the crown gear then just fall out. My rear axle is about 6 inches off the floor so there is no chance I hope of loosing my toes if it does fall out.

I have done a search for the removal of the crown gear but have had no luck. I also recall there were some pictures of the crown gear sometime back, not sure who put them up. Would really appreciate if someone could help.

Mervyn

Nick
True Blue

Re: removing crown gear assembly

Post by Nick »

Hi, i was looking at the same thing last night, i dont know how to post links, but if you do a search for user 'ddoan', in one of his posts, there is a link with nearly 1000!!!!!!! very detailed pictures of his dexta restoration, some of which include taking the rear axle apart, hope this helps you mate :D :D :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Nick

Thank you for the link, I have not looked it up yet but I definately will after contacting you.
I took the bull by the horns this afternoon and removed the right trumpet housing and the crown gear flopped to the left and lodged. It is rather a heavy beast but fortunately I only had to lever it out and down to the floor by about 6 inches. I was wearing my steel toecap shoes though. I was wondering how one would polish the crown gear as it does have some rust on it due to rain water getting in? The pinion gear is fine however the inside of the box has rust scale which I thought I would have sand blasted together with the outside of the trumpets and transmission box.

Mervyn

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Here is a direct link to tractor N Don's picture gallery

http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstu ... toration02#
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks Marcus. I did look through his pictures of the crown gear. Nice set of pictures he has, Thanks Don.

MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MarksDexta »

Getting off topic, but yes. Thanks to don for the photos! Don't ever take them down........