topper for dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

topper for dexta

Post by john.n »

What's the largest topper a dexta can handle? Is an 8ft one too big?
Regards, John

marcusgs
True Blue

Re: topper for dexta

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

Personally I would say yes 8ft would be too big, 6ft max I would say.

Regards,
Mark

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

:clap:
Depends on the weight of the topper(light build or heavy build), and what you intend to cut with it.
If your cutting the local cricket field every week, then an 8 ft may be ok.
If your cutting the back 20 acres (of differing grass types), then no.
Generally I would have only use a 5 ft topper on a Dexta.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

Don't want kill my tractor so ill look for a 5 or 6 ft one.
Is it possible to reduce a 3 rotor one down to a 2 rotor?
Regards,
John

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Is anyone using a flail mower on their Dexta?
Can't decide whether to get one or an ordinary topper. :scratchhead:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

I did use one Ben, A Bomford 2200. and it took it no problem engine wise, but it was on uneven ground and the mower followed every bump and mole hill. was just too harsh on the top linkage . Would probably be ok with a floating top link but i didnt have one, And of course you need a live drive or a free wheeling pto coupling.
I sold it and now use a 6ft topper and connect the top link with a length of chain, there's no jerking on the top link spring, Dexta dont know its there. Jim. :D
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

YorkshireDextaMan wrote:I did use one Ben, A Bomford 2200. and it took it no problem engine wise, but it was on uneven ground and the mower followed every bump and mole hill. was just too harsh on the top linkage . Would probably be ok with a floating top link but i didnt have one, And of course you need a live drive or a free wheeling pto coupling.
I sold it and now use a 6ft topper and connect the top link with a length of chain, there's no jerking on the top link spring, Dexta dont know its there. Jim. :D
My problem is that we've got stones, so I imagine a topper won't take kindly to them?

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Bensdexta wrote:Is anyone using a flail mower on their Dexta?
Can't decide whether to get one or an ordinary topper. :scratchhead:
I've got both a flail mower and a topper.
Flail mowers can be very power hungry (depends on grass type). Only work in a forward direction, and the flails can be expensive(my 6ft flail mower has 40 flails@$20 each)
Toppers can handle heavier growth(small shrubs etc), work in both forward and backward directions. Only 2 or 4 blades to replace (depending on type of topper) normally.
If you've stones in your paddock Ben, don't use the flail mower. I'm very selective as to which paddocks I use my flail mower in. I prefer to use my flail mower for winter paddock clean-up, ready for spring growth. I've used it today as it's winter down under.
They each have their uses, but if I had to have one only, I would go for the topper.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Topper for Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Kiwi Kev wrote:I've got both a flail mower and a topper.
Flail mowers can be very power hungry (depends on grass type). Only work in a forward direction, and the flails can be expensive(my 6ft flail mower has 40 flails@$20 each)
Toppers can handle heavier growth(small shrubs etc), work in both forward and backward directions. Only 2 or 4 blades to replace (depending on type of topper) normally.
If you've stones in your paddock Ben, don't use the flail mower. I'm very selective as to which paddocks I use my flail mower in. I prefer to use my flail mower for winter paddock clean-up, ready for spring growth. I've used it today as it's winter down under.
They each have their uses, but if I had to have one only, I would go for the topper.
Kiwi Kev
Kev, Thanks for the advice - very helpful. :wink:

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Used a 6ft toper on my Dexta and found that it was just a bit too much on rough pasture (2 yrs nettles, thistles etc). It was also on sloping land so the front wheels didn't have much steerage when going uphill due to the weight on the back. If you havn't got a dual clutch then you MUST have a freewheel overide PTO adapter otherwise when you dip the cluth the blade momemtum will continue to drive the back axle forward and you could be in big trouble!!
It didn't help either when using my friends topper to cut his field I found the pile of roof tiles and abandoned breeze (cinder) blocks! Still it was his mower and he had assured me that the field was clean.
It really depends on expected work, terrain and desired finish.
Due to start on my second Dexta restore so wish me luck!
Cheers
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

bought a 6ft votex topper that needs a bit of work.
the pulley has been sheared off the top of one of the rotors so its only one sided at the moment.
any ideas on how to fix this?
regards,
John

_JOHN_
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by _JOHN_ »

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Topper for Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Can folk recommend any particular makes?
Read that the deck should be at least 3/16" thick .
What about a rear wheel rather than just skids?
TIA :wink:

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

if you are after a new one i heard flemming are meant to be good for the money.
I have found out the hard way that beyond belts and blades thre is nothing available for votex toppers.
Regards,
John

_JOHN_
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by _JOHN_ »

john.n wrote:if you are after a new one i heard flemming are meant to be good for the money.
I have found out the hard way that beyond belts and blades thre is nothing available for votex toppers.
Regards,
John
You can buy almost all the parts direct from Votex, and the seals and bearings are all standard sizes you can get from any good bearing supplier if you want to save a few quid :)

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

I'm using a 6 ft. brush-hog (topper) on my Dexta and it seems to work great for mowing the air field. I'm not sure it would have enough power for heavy cutting though. I had this mower on my Ford 850 while doing heavy work and it made that 45 hp. tractor pull pretty hard. If you slowed down the Dexta would probably work fine though.
Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have a 5' Kuhn behind Dotty and regularly cut around 15 acres of scrub land for a gentleman who lives in London. We cut it three times a year and it is marshy with lots of willow, nettles, brambles and grass as tall as the top of the front cowl. Dotty takes it all in her stride in second gear, not fast but it comes out of the topper in a lovely mulch. I have to keep the radiator clear as willow herb tends to block the fins in the radiator.

This picture is them cutting my friends thistle field two years ago.

The Kuhn is gearbox drive and has two massive blades on the rotor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi Brian,
You seem to have a rigid top link on it.
Does it run on skids?
How does it cope with humps & hollows? :wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Top link is floating on the topper and it is on skids.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

managed to weld the sheared shaft back together, not sure how well it will hold under load but I will find out.
Can any one recoment a resonable make of PTO shaft? The one that i got with the topper is leathal, the lock pin does has stuck open and meant the shaft cam off giving me a bit of a jump, thankfully I had already reduced the PTO speed to idle.
I was looking at this one;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PTO-SHAFT-101 ... 3cc6582ebf
or do i realy need a shear bolt? not sure it would be much help with a multi rotor machine. I would have though if one rotor was stopped by a rock the other would have enough momentum to shear the shaft anyway.

Regards,
John

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

I have to keep the radiator clear as willow herb tends to block the fins in the radiator.
I know what you mean Brian. I just finished reworking a JD #38 sickle mower so I can run the tractor in the clear. When running the topper the front of the tractor is pushing through the weeds and the fuzz from the thistles are always plugging the radiator. :stress:
We will see how the sickle mower works.
Chris

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

tried out the votex topper. works well leaves a reasonable finish and copes with the grass up to two foot in second gear, then the dexta is at its maximum. didnt try first gear. need to replace the wooden boards on the back, does anyone know what wood was orriginally used? was it just pine?
Regards,
John

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

Got the topper up and running, been out trying it out this afternoon.
certainly makes the dexta work hard. ended up in first gear for some of the more dense growth.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

John,

Looks like it's doing a great job. That's some pasture :wink:

BTW I'm intriguied by your work light - have you a close up pic of it? It'll be handy in the winter.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

The work light is very useful in winter.
made using the bale spike in the dark easyer and if I have to back up on the road in the dark I can see whre im going.
Its just wired into the side light and has an on/off switch built into it. think it was about £20
Regards,
John.