My 1960 project

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
justjamiefarming
True Blue

My 1960 project

Post by justjamiefarming »

Hi Guys,

I just thought I would post some pics of my progress so far with a 1960 Dexta restoration.

The tractor has been gone through from back to front, and I am just waiting for the engine to be returned from a complete overhaul.
All the parts have been spray painted with Red Oxide primer and then a single pack top-coat. I decided to have a go at spraying the tractor myself after some training ( :shock: ) from you tube!
The only jobs left to do are to clean and paint the engine and then check fit & paint the bonnet.

I have new tyres for the rear which I will fit when the paint has had enough time to cure.

I hope to post more pics when I can.
(p.s. I dont know why the first image has not previewed :( )
Last edited by justjamiefarming on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It was like that when I found it.... & I wish I had left it alone!

Cvans
True Blue

Re: My 1960 project

Post by Cvans »

Your tractor looks beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it completed :thumbs:
It is really great to see all these tractors being restored to their former glory. Mine will never look like new but it will be kept in excellent running condition and used regularly.
Chris

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Thanks for your comment Chris.

Its funny how you tend to keep track of the parts and costs, but at the same time lose track of all the time and effort put in.

On the 1961 dexta I just repaired/replaced anything not working or missing and then painted anything new. It doesnt look as bad as you might think because all the tinwork was painted anyway.

With this one, I decided to go right through it sarting from the back end and working forwards. If I knew how to post a spreadsheet, I would like to show what parts have been used.

I think two of the best surprises were the quality of the PTO cap from Agr****e and also the quality of the wiring loom from Autosp**ks.

Most satisfying job was following the workshop manual from Stephan to replace the halfshaft oil seals. (drilling and splitting the retaining collars).

Most rewarding was to finally be able to lay down paint without having runs and sags all over the place. :)

MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MarksDexta »

Very nice job! :clap: I hope you continue to post more pics as you move along with the restoration. I'm jealous.

I realy like the color shade. May I ask what color you used and brand?

Like Chris, I really enjoy seeing these brought back to life or for that matter, just kept running and out of hedge rows or salvage yards.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jamie,
How long have your restorations taken?
Nice work :clap:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

justjamiefarming
True Blue

The '61 Dexta was bought at a sale in June 2010 and was completed in March of 2012.

There were extensive periods of time when no work was carried out due to farming activities etc; but as previously said, I intend to use this tractor at work because it is a LiveDrive and so anything boken was replaced/repaired.

Odds and ends were also done to the '60 Dexta during this time.
The '60 Dexta was started in earnest in April of this year and once the engine is returned and painted, 3 days should see it completed.
As for the paint on the '60 Dexta, it was undercoated with Teamac Red Oxide and top-coated with...wait for it....Fordson Azzuro Blue! :shock:
I have the paint mixed at a local spray painters suppliers and the Empire Blue on their flash cards didnt look quite right. But having said that the Azzurro Blue isn't quite right either, so as bad burnt as scolded.
The Empire Blue from A******e used on the '61 tractor wasnt too good to use, so I didnt want to go there again.
Overall I am happy with the results.

I will try to post some pics of the '61 Dexta when I get time.

Best regards....

PS Is it possible to post spreadsheets on here? :?:

justjamiefarming
True Blue

I got the engine returned from the overhaul people and set about cleaning and prepping for paint.
I stripped off some of the ancilliaries and gave everything three coats of etching primer before three coats of top-coat.

After fitting a new pilot bearing and the overhauled clutch assembly, the engine was replaced back onto the tractor.
Time then to re-fit the ancilliaries.

Regards, Jamie.

PS, Ok I admit defeat...I CANT POST PICTURES!!! :cry:

Why is it so difficult, why can others post good full sized pics on here?, Why are so many others asking how to do it too? And why is it such a secret :scratchhead:
Last edited by justjamiefarming on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

justjamiefarming wrote:I got the engine returned from the overhaul people and set about cleaning and prepping for paint.
I stripped off some of the ancilliaries and gave everything three coats of etching primer before three coats of top-coat.

After fitting a new pilot bearing and the overhauled clutch assembly, the engine was replaced back onto the tractor.
Time then to re-fit the ancilliaries.
Regards, Jamie.
PS, Ok I admit defeat...I CANT POST PICTURES!!! :cry:
Why is it so difficult, why can others post good full sized pics on here?, Why are so many others asking how to do it too? And why is it such a secret :scratchhead:
If you hit the quote button, you'll see how the image code should look. You should be able to copy the img code v easily from imageshack. If you delete the '.th' from before the '.jpg' like I did, you'll get full size pics (640 pix wide is best).

Alternatively, for 'dead simple' uploading, see here: http://tractorsearch.co.uk/images/

Where did you get your engine rebuilt?
Dexta's looking fantastic!! :D

I've got workshop envy too! :wink:

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Thanks for your help kind sir :clap: ,

I have edited a previous post and your help and advice was spot on.

My engine was rebuilt by a company in Doncaster called R&E Arnett using the Agfiline overhaul kit.

They are not particularly quick (4-6 wks) but do a good job.

Best regards, Jamie

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Did you do any work on the gearbox/back-end beyond replacing clutch, filter and half-shaft seals?

Glad you mastered photos; now you'll easily be able to post some more!! Some of the details, cable / pipe runs would be v useful. :)

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

I'm enjoying your project and thanks for your efforts in posting the photos.
I really envy your shop and all the space. Makes a project like this much easier.
Chris

justjamiefarming
True Blue

A few more pics as requested.
No work was required on the gearbox, except a good flushing out and new oil.
Hydraulics were re-set and cleaned out with the customary repair on the cam follower pin.
Brake cross shaft built up and turned down again with new bushes and seals. Same for clutch cross shaft.

Just for interest, the spacer gaps here will be 4.5mm at the back, and 22.5mm at the front.

And also as promised a pic of the 1961 working girl

Best regards, Jamie.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Many thanks for the pics - posting great now!!. :D
What do you use the working girl for?

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

That sure is purdy :clap:. You did a beautiful job on the tractor. Looks good enough to keep in the house. :lol:
Chris

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Hi Guys,

Well.... the '61 Dexta has a few tasks around the farm, but one of the main ones is to plough and cultivate the wife's veg garden, and let me tell you I was not sorry to retire the old Howard 350 Garden Rotovator. :wink:

Where I live in the Isle of Axholme, we have on of the last remaining open field and strip farming areas in the country. That is to say, that there is no physical boundary between your field and your neighbour's; a single plough furrow being the only marker.

The dexta is used with a small plough to reinstate these marker furrows usually after drilling. Then it should be done again by your neighbour after he has finished his cultivations.

Sometimes there are a few errm... discussions :curse: , if the furrow has not been put back in the correct place, but generally the furrows do not move much more than 8 - 12" per year. :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

justjamiefarming wrote:Well.... the '61 Dexta has a few tasks around the farm, but one of the main ones is to plough and cultivate the wife's veg garden, and let me tell you I was not sorry to retire the old Howard 350 Garden Rotovator. :wink:

Where I live in the Isle of Axholme, we have on of the last remaining open field and strip farming areas in the country. That is to say, that there is no physical boundary between your field and your neighbour's; a single plough furrow being the only marker.
Do you farm the strips, perhaps as part of an environmental scheme? If so the Dex is prob a handy size? :wink:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi - I have a problem seeing your pictures Jamie, they are still in that iceblock. I have logged into imageshack numerous times but no luck. What am I doing wrong :?:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Hi - I have a problem seeing your pictures Jamie, they are still in that iceblock. I have logged into imageshack numerous times but no luck. What am I doing wrong :?:
Mervyn, they are visible no prob here in UK, without any logging into imageshack. Is it something to do with your part of the world or your ISP?? :scratchhead:

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Pictures come through fine over here also. :D
Chris

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Hi - I have a problem seeing your pictures Jamie, they are still in that iceblock. I have logged into imageshack numerous times but no luck. What am I doing wrong :?:
I am mortified to say that I cant help you sir, because as Bensdexta will confirm, I have only just mastered the art of post pics myself, sorry. :oops: :)

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Do you farm the strips, perhaps as part of an environmental scheme? If so the Dex is prob a handy size?
Hi Ben,
We have fields ranging from 0.5 acres to 53 acres and no I,m afraid we dont have much kit that the dexta will handle,

But having said that, maybe after a new air filter and a tweak on the pump, you just never know..... :lol:

Best regards, Jamie.

P.S.
Just a lesson for the unwary.... before you re-fit your steering box and definitely before you paint, Always check, then double check the play in the drop arms :cry:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gents - I can now see your pics Jamie using Mozilla Firefox. :D Time to ditch Internet Explorer.

Nice work you have done there Jamie, she really does look like new now, keep the pictures coming. :clap:

Kind regards
Mervyn

dexta09b
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dexta09b »

HI JAMIE GREAT JOB YOU DONE THERE AND GREAT PICTURES , JUST WONDERING IS THAT A DYNAMO OR AN ALTERNATOR YOU GOT ON IT .

justjamiefarming
True Blue

dexta09b wrote:HI JAMIE GREAT JOB YOU DONE THERE AND GREAT PICTURES , JUST WONDERING IS THAT A DYNAMO OR AN ALTERNATOR YOU GOT ON IT .
Hi Guys,
It's a 22amp dynamo system utilising the standard positive earth.

After a painfull experience of taking the steering box off the tractor (after removing the dash & tank & ancilliaries again!),
I have re-adjusted the shimming in the steering box and taken out all the free play. I have no idea what went wrong after I rebuilt it after repacing the bushes and seals in the first place, I could have sworn I set it up according to the manual :roll: .

Oh well, paint and re-fit again over the next couple of days, then time to install the radiator to find out if the replacement fan cowling from Ag****ne fits or fouls on the fan :( .

After that fit the nose cowl and front lights and grilles.

Adjust the bonnet to fit correctly then prep and paint and that should be the finish :clap: .

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Fan Shroud woes I'm afraid. :(

I decided to replace the fan shroud with a new one and so ordered the item from A******e which duly arrived.
I was disappointed to discover that it was a fiberglass Item and gave them a call. I was informed that it was a good fitting item and many sold with no problems.

Partially re-assured, I sprayed the shroud and fitted it to the radiator. When it came time to fit the radiator, guess what?, no fit.

Another phone call to supplier resulted in the question "so what you're saying is, that you're fan is too big for the shroud?" :roll:
I informed them that I was returning the item and expected a credit to my account.

I sourced another item from a different supplier which was nearly twice the price but it was a steel item.

Recieved yesterday and guess what?, no fit.

I decided to not waste anymore time and promptly set to with heat and cutting disc....

After checking the fit and clearance was ok I called it a night.

Next job, flat off the welds, prep and paint...finally! :)

Will post a pic of finished item when I can.

Best regards...
Last edited by justjamiefarming on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.