super dexta glow plug

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

super dexta glow plug

Post by terry274 »

The resistance on the glow plug of my Super Dexta reads less than 1 ohm. (around .7) It will cause a 12 gauge wire to become quite warm. Is this a part that is still available? If so, where and how much money? I am in the US. My tractor starts easily, but I don't know how it will start in cold weather. I just bought her a couple of weeks ago and the temperature has been in the 80 degree range here.

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Hi Terry,the "glowplug" is available at www.agrilineproducts.com
Since it weighs very little,postage should be not too expensive.

Good luck.
Rob.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Terry, it sounds to me as though it is working normally. Mine does the same thing....makes the supply wire warm. Since it is only in use for a minute or less at the time, it shouldn't cause any damage to the wire.

If the wire is getting HOT enough to damage the insulation, I'd say you have a short somewhere....If it's just warm, shouldn't cause any problems.

estimate current flow:
basic ohms law
current = volts/resistance
13.5 volts/ .7 ohms = 19.3 amps current flow .....
Which is approaching upper limit for 12 ga wire (depends on other factors ..especially length of wire)..

electric heater elements are generally low in resistance ...designed to draw a large current flow which makes the metal heat up and glow.....

If you press the heater button for 45 secs or so, then get a small 'pop' when you push the primer bulb , and haven't got any wires smoking everything is normal.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Terry,

I would not worry too much about the cold resistance. It is a heater and will increase in resistance as it gets hot. 0.7 ohms sounds about right and possibly even a little on the high side. If you are worried about the wire getting warm, run a heavier gauge wire. The factory wiring would only have been the minimum required to prevent fires under normal use. My P6 Perkins heater draws close to 30 amps at the start and as far as I know the starting systems did not change too much between the P6 and the Dexta F144.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. Given that my tractor had no wiring to speak of when I got it, I may have over engineered the wiring a little and the heater current may be a little higher than normal due to lower wiring resistance. Besides if it is that cold that you need to use the heater the wire might be happy to get a little warm :lol:

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Glow plug is still available at your local CNH dealer.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Terry
You don't say where you are in the US but I guess it applies to anywhere where it gets very cold that you must have good condition cold starting kit.
Yes the heater plug should obviously get hot but don't forget that the fuel hand pump must work and that the foot valve at the end of the fuel line where it connects to the manifold must also work too. It's often over looked that where the fuel line connects to the manifold is a small adapter. This contains a foot valve which maintains a small back pressure on the fuel line to prevent fuel just constantly dribbling into the manifold. Carefully remove the fuel line, unscrew the adapter and chack that water has not made the small spring rusty. A very light pressure from a small screwdriver inthe direction of the fuel flow ie into the manifold, should allow the spring and ball bearing to move.
An extra tip is if you have a good battery then pull out the Stop control and then crank over the engine. There will be no fuel to vapourise and cool the head but the engine will be compressing the incoming air and warming the head. A short time after cranking, push in the stop control and it should fire up easier.

Cheers
Jerry near Bath UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's