Heater plug with fuel line setup

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
aldo
True Blue

Heater plug with fuel line setup

Post by aldo »

Hi everyone. Back after a very long spell. Have been reading the forum from time to time, just never got around to reregistering (after my computer died, and took my forum registration details to the grave).
Anyway, I've got a new heater plug for the dexta, and am going to put a T piece in the injector return line, to gravity feed fuel to the heater plug. Its been posted 'a hundred times' on the old forum, I know. :roll:
But I need some more details please. My thinking is that the fuel return from injectors to the tank runs close to horizontal. So if I put a T piece in there, the loop of pipe running down to the heater plug won't fill because its airlocked, and so effectively I'll just be draining a small section of the original return line. So I'm thinking maybe Brian's idea of having several loops of pipe to act as a reserve of fuel, is actually in the return line to the tank, and the T piece drains these loops straight down to the heater plug.
Does anyone have a picture, or know of picture, of a working setup that I can have a look at? Much appreciated.

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Oh well, I was hoping someone might go and take a picture of their setup, and post it for me. Thanks anyway.

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Aldo, I am willing to take a picture of my tractor and post it, but what exactly do you want to see? Is the primer bulb bad on your tractor? Are you trying to get fuel to the heater plug for cold starts? Let me know what you want a picture of and I will try to get it online
Terry

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Thanks Terry.
The primer bulb is long gone. Yes that's right, I'm trying to get fuel to the new heater plug for cold starts, by connecting to the fuel line that runs back to the fuel tank from the injectors. Brian described this modification numerous times on the old forum. I was hoping to see a picture of one that works well. I don't want to supply too much fuel, nor too little fuel. A picture of the manifold area showing the fuel line running down to the heater plug would be good.

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Ok, I understand. My tractor is still original so I don't think a picture of it will help. If you still want a picture of a stock setup, let me know. I am interested in this also because my bulb is in poor condition. I have read of people adapting a chainsaw primer bulb but I don't know any details. That was the direction I was thinking of going when mine quits working.
Terry

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

I thought of a chainsaw primer bulb or something similar also. But then I think you'll need to modify the fuel tap, then maybe put another tap in line, to stop fuel being drawn in to the manifold once the tractor starts. The replacement heater plug I bought has a built-in automatic valve, that opens when the plug gets red hot. So all I need is a small reservoir of fuel above the heater plug, that will gravity feed in when the plug opens. Seems simple, but a picture would help.