turbo

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

turbo

Post by gordon5a »

have seen a massey 35 on youtube with a turbo fitted, anyone carried this out before, have a super dexta that could be converted

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: turbo

Post by Jerry Coles »

There was a 3.152 Turbo available.
http://www.emacsz.com/product/perkins-turbocharger.htm
Google it
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I was a student at Rycotewood college Thame Oxfordshire in 90/91 and they had a mf 135 with a 3 cyl turbo motor. it was a farm boy racer pocket rocket, it would spin the wheels pulling away 8) :lol:
I think it was a propper turbo motor massey or perkins fitted for them. to train us guys on turbos before most of the tractors came standard with them in the late 70s or early 80's.
some stock motors can be turboed but others need different valves seats and pistons sleeves in from factory to stop parts burning out and higher oil pressure/ flow for the turbo, and more fuel , if you are gonna fit to a standard motor and work it the motor needs to be in good condition, adding 20% more power will wreck something on a worn high hour motor, If the motors good and stock you may get away with running for short bursts and not burn parts up, Us tractor pulling guys can get away with it sometimes if we don't go too wild.
it's a kinda try it and see moment i think.
I added a turbo to my 510 perkins V8 it's light on fuel so needs a bigger injection pump as its wide open on delivery and it doesn't smoke under load but i've not burnt it up pulling yet either :wink:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gordon5a »

hi thanks for the reply, the engine is old and worn out has quite a bit of backpressure, so maybe it wont take much more power,the tractor was saved from the scrapheap so it doesnt really matter if it goes bang, on the old fordson forum there is a post from someone that fitted a turbo to their dexta and it came of a peugeot van, there was a perkins turbo fitted to a linder tractor and some masseys had them but i have been unable to find any info on them, i would need to know how to make up manifolds etc to make it work

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Gordon,

If the engine is old and worn I would not waste my time fitting a turbo. You will find that putting more air in will only increase the blow by and if you try to increase boost and fuel to try to compensate exhaust temperatures will go through the roof and start melting things. If you are going to do some work on the engine I would rather do a rebuild rather than fit a turbo as you are likely to get more power out of the rebuild than by fitting the turbo on a shot engine IMHO.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.