axle bearing removal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

axle bearing removal

Post by terry274 »

I need to change the rear axle seals in my Super Dexta. Following the manual that I downloaded, I have the axle out and on my work bench. Now the instructions say to use tool #T.4069 to withdraw the bearing retainer assembly. It seems to be indicating that the tool is a gear puller type device. Of course I don't have this tool, so how do I get the bearing retainer off the shaft? I tried to use a screwdriver between the back plate and the retainer housing but I am afraid I will damage some of the parts. What do I do now?
Thanks, Terry

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Terry,

I think that as you have a Super Dexta the bearing retainer should be held in place by a big nut. I did my axle seals on a 1960 standard Dexta which has the collar instead of the nut. Once I had split the collar I used a hydraulic press at the engineering dept at my workplace to push the axle shaft out of the bearing retainer.

There is a good piece of info on this on the main site at: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/manua ... r_axle.htm
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Hi Terry,i take it you've removed the retaining nut?
From the drawing i would say that the only thing holding the axle shaft in place now would be the bearing.
Were you going to replace that anyway?
Maybe it wouldn't survive the "puller action".
In other words,can't you just hammer the axle shaft out now?
Maybe after soaking in WD40 for a week or so.

Rob.

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Thanks for the replies. I was able to press the assembly off with a hydraulic press. The first axle is cleaned up and ready to be reassembled. Now I have the second axle out and have not yet been able to budge the big nut...I am going shopping for a new nut and bearing, this looks like it will take heat.