sleeve for axle shaft

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

sleeve for axle shaft

Post by terry274 »

One of the rear axle shafts on my Super Dexta has a ring worn into it from the oil seal. I read that there is a sleeve which fits over the shaft to repair the worn spot and keep the new seal from leaking. Where can I buy the sleeve? If I can not find the sleeve, how much is it going to cost to have a machine shop weld up the worn place and grind it down to the correct diameter?
Thanks, Terry

Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: sleeve for axle shaft

Post by Paul »

What you refer to is known here as a Speedy Sleeve. The sleeve is pressed on and machined to tolarance fit I believe. Around here in Australia cost would be somewhere between $40 - $60 at a machine shop depending on what the rogues charge their labour out at. If it's done on mates rates it would be the sleeve cost and a carton of beer.
Make it Better for the next person and We all end up Better off.

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Hi Paul. not that I've used the speedy sleeve, but I believe that no machining is required. Just slip it on, and away you go.

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

I got the speedi sleeve from my local NAPA auto parts store. The guy had to order it, part # 99212. I got it the next day, it cost $30 plus tax. Installed easily, no machine work required. Waiting on the big nut to come in now.
Terry

Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Paul »

Hey Aldo hows things south of the border? I stand corrected. I have had sleeves dressed to a tolerance fit of 4 thou previously for different applications. I guess if you can do it without the machine work it's even better. You live and learn.
Make it Better for the next person and We all end up Better off.

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Hi Paul. Well we could do with a bit more rain before things start to warm up down here, otherwise all is well.
I guess there's a huge range of speedi sleeves, but the ones I know are only a few thousands of an inch thick, so there's no need to change the size of the oil seal. I've even heard of speedi sleeves being used as a temporary fix for worn oil seals, although they're intended as a permanent repair for worn shafts. I think they're made of stainless steel.