My Dexta just stopped

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dewaltdisney
True Blue

My Dexta just stopped

Post by dewaltdisney »

Long time since I have been on here and I am pleased to see all the regulars still posting and the site being well used.

I had been working for two hours and after a short break I restarted and went to mow another paddock when the engine just died I restarted again and it ran lumpily for a few seconds and died again so I towed it back up to yard and started having a think and looked on here. This thread http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hilit=died seemed appropriate and reading through I saw the logic of the advice to progress systemically.

I undid the pipe from the fuel tank tap and the fuel was dribbling out rather than a good spray I was expecting so I reluctantly concluded that it was a blocked tank fuel filter. One mouthful of diesel later I was syphoning the tank out to get as much out before undoing the fuel tap from the tank. Sure enough it was clogged right up so a good blast through with an air line soon cleaned it up. Refit, refuel, bleed system, fingers crossed.....a few turns and it started as if nothing had happened.

I put an hour and a bit of work in with no problems and all is good.

So I guess the point of this post is self congratulatory on my part as I am not really sure what I am doing but secondly it is to thank the forum for being able to find a solution that helped steer me right. I notice in the thread quoted above that Ben Dexta makes the blocked tank filter point in the second post !!!!

Anyway, I am glad you are all still here

Cheers

DWD

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: My Dexta just stopped

Post by Kiwi Kev »

DWD
When I first saw who the poster was, I said to myself, "gee He hasn't been here for awhile!"
Thats the very reason we and the forum are here. To be able to help, share, advise and just plain enjoy our Blue tractors.
The forum brings members together from all over the world.

Glad you were able to get your Dexta going.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks Kev, I have been having a good read through some of the topics and there are some interesting threads to catch up on.

I will make an effort to come on more frequently as I feel it is important to contribute if I can in some small way that might help others.

Cheers

DWD

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi. I feel that I should just mention that although you have cleared the blockage for the moment, it is quite possible that it will block again, due to the tank having in it, more of what blocked it in the first place.
The permanent solution to this is to remove and perhaps pressure wash out the tank.

Regards,
Mark

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Post by justjamiefarming »

marcusgs wrote:Hi. I feel that I should just mention that although you have cleared the blockage for the moment, it is quite possible that it will block again, due to the tank having in it, more of what blocked it in the first place.
The permanent solution to this is to remove and perhaps pressure wash out the tank.

Regards,
I agree, remove the tank and clean out all the scale from within.

:!: Just a word of caution though, just be gentle with the pressure washer as it is perfectly possible to perforate the bottom of the tank if it has worn thin. Believe me...I know! :wink:

regards, Jamie.
It was like that when I found it.... & I wish I had left it alone!

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I agree, remove the tank and clean out all the scale from within.

:!: Just a word of caution though, just be gentle with the pressure washer as it is perfectly possible to perforate the bottom of the tank if it has worn thin. Believe me...I know! :wink:

regards, Jamie.[/quote]

+1 :curse:
water often sits in the bottom of the tank for years to start the rot .
then a really good power wash / hot wash , untill the water runs clean is often enough to blow a hole :beer:
but are u better doing the job once and sorting it :roll:
takeing that tank on and off is a real pain
i had to really hot wash mine out to clear the black gue that kept blocking the filter in the fuel tap , touch wood still clean few years later .
just my opinion :beer:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks for the advice chaps.

When I syphoned off the fuel I left about two litres at the bottom and caught the residue in a bowl as it ran out on removing the tap. There was a fair bit of black slurry came out with it and I filtered this run off and poured it back in to give it another flush. Having a look inside with my torch it looked pretty clear and but I accept that it may well clog again when things get stirred up. Reading the (Free download Manual link from here) service manual, taking the tank off seems a bit complicated for my skill level but I will probably have a go at doing it when grass cutting season finishes.

I will let you know how I get on....gulp

Thanks

DWD

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

simple to remove the tank , just very messy / fidly to do . hardest thing prob is if the steering wheel is seized on the shaft .
just time consuming

all the best
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.