Blowing oil out the manifold

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
stugreen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Blowing oil out the manifold

Post by stugreen »

Good evening all, well after a long going project which is nearly done I replaced the sump gasket to cure a small leak I didn't know I had, on start up I have developed oil coming through the exhaust, checked oil was slightly to much in so a drain out and a run up the road and still have the problam!! Really puzzled as it wasn't doing this before! The wife thought I'd been out on the field Marshall when I came home as I was covered in oil! Any idea on what to try next or do?? Had the manifold and combustion caps off and it looks slightly black in number 1! Other question is, is it oil or is it unburnt fuel mixed with soot ect!! It's a thick black substance! Think I've covered every thing! Thanks in advance Stuart
1958 Fordson Dexta Standard Drive
252YUH
1959 Fordson Dexta Live Drive
Yet to find its number plate :(

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Re: Blowing oil out the manifold

Post by kiwiland dexta »

I get this effect if I forget to close the small tap at the heater element and leave the tractor for a while then warm-start without using the heater.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Blowing oil out the manifold

Post by Brian »

Oil blowing from the exhaust and manifold is due to slow running/engine not being worked/just overhauled and not run in properly/wrong engine oil.

Get her into heavy work like topping/ploughing/cultivating or spend some time on a dynamometer and it will clear up until the next time you have her ticking over for some time.

It is a normal occurrence on all diesel engines, what ever make, they should either be used under full load or switched off. This was what I was told over 50 years ago and it is still true today. (Gosh!!! I feel old) :mrgreen:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian